Silver Dollars not eating

1. k

kmk56 Initiate Member

I have 5 large silver dollars in a 55 gallon tank. I have had them about 6 years. They have always eaten well and I have not changed anything that I have done in the past. Just in the last week I feed them and they hide in the corner and when they venture out the food just floats by there face and just goes to the bottom. They use to go crazy with the food. The food sits on the bottom and I believe they eat some later but not much. Any ideas???

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello kmk. Welcome to Fish Lore.

So sorry to hear that your Silver Dollars aren't feeling up to par. Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle? Can you post readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, ph?
    The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    It's definitely unusual behavior for them to not be eating especially when nothing has changed. I have to believe that it's water quality issues.
    Have you tried feeding them Romaine Lettuce? Mine just rip it up and love it. I see that your Silver Dollars are elders but even so, for them all to be acting the way I don't see that old age has anything to do with it.

Best wishes!
    Ken

3. F

Fishzone08 Member Member

Have you done a water change?
    If not take about 20% of water out and clean the filter.
    Sometimes bad water conditions can affect the fish's feeding.

4. abc123d30

abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Usually when fish do something unusual it's a good idea to check your water parameters. If you don't have a test kit I would reccomend getting the API (liquid) master test kit and testing for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and pH as Ken said. Most fish stores will also test your water for you but it's best just to be able to do it yourself.

Hope your fish start eating soon and welcome to fishlore! :D