Silver dollars...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by turtle14, May 3, 2016.

1. turtle14

turtle14New MemberMember

I've had my 4 silver dollars for about 5 months (2 males, 2 females) and they seem to be doing well. I know I should have 2 more, but made the rookie mistake of not researching them before buying and don't think my 65g can handle 2 more piggies. On to the question, I've noticed that the males will get black marks on their fins, show orange near their gills, and their spots will darken. Thanks to Google, I've learned that this is mating behavior. My question is how often do silver dollars normally do this? Over the past few weeks my males seem to be 'showing off' all of the time. It seems like every time I check on them their fins are black. They tend to pester 1 of the females more than the other. Just curious if the frequency is normal or if it will taper off after a while?

2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Yes it's normal, no it probably won't taper off... Once they mature, male spotty dollars are like male guppies, always looking to breed. Mine are nearly always like that, and they're heightened more when my 'standard' dollars spawn, and they try to join in. The females haven't shown any interest yet, I think they take longer to mature.

3. OP
    OP
    turtle14

turtle14New MemberMember

Thank you Hampalong!