Silver Dollars In A 90 Tall?

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Ed204, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi Everyone,
    So this is question is not really for me but I'm asking for my brother, who had recently got into Fish Keeping.
    This thread is both about aquarium stocking and a silver dollar question.

My Brother has recently acquired a 90 gallon tank dimensions are 107cm Long 150cm tall (with stand, actual tank is 75cm I think) and 45 cm depth.

My First question is that, are Silver Dollars better kept in tall tanks or no?

Next up is a stocking question. After looking at my 135 gallon, my brother wanted the exact same stocking.
    Which is:
    5-6x Silver Dollars
    2 Blood Parrots
    1 Gold Sev
    1 FireMouth Cichlid.
    Will this stocking work in a 90 gallon, also he will not add any other fish into the tank.
    @TexasDomer @tyguy7760 @Anders247 whatbdo you guys think?

Thanks in Advance!
    -Edward

2. Zahc

ZahcWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't personally. I believe SD's need a 6 foot tank minimum to provide for their activity levels. You are also working with quite a small a footprint for an American Cichlid community. I would go for a larger, robust tetra, danio or barb, and drop either the parrots or the sev from the list or look into some of the smaller (6" or less) and more peaceful cichlids.

This tank would be amazing for Angelfish!

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

On the top of my head, I believe that Silver Dollars need a 4 foot tank at the bare minimum, I agree that the tank is over stocked but in my opinion I think it maybe might just work.

Hoe about if I drop one of the Blood Parrots?

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Honestly I think severums and blood parrots need a 48 inch or 120 cm tank minimum. So the fact you have 3 of those guys in that tank size is going to lead to issues. I would assume the parrots will start beating up on the sev at some point and then each other. Can't be sure on that last part but all 3 fish need territory and a ~36 inch tank doesn't provide enough. THe height of the tank plays little in the likelihood of these fish getting along. I personally would lose all of the cichlids and go with something smaller as @Zahc suggested.

As for the silver dollars I again agree with @Zahc that these fish need a 6 foot tank to do well. I've seen people keep them in 4 foot tanks but this tank isn't even 4 feet long. So again, I'd reconsider the stocking.

5. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright, what tank size would you recommend for this stocking then?

By the way, how about if I lose one of the Parrots?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Zahc

Even so, your talking about keeping them in a tank just over 3 foot. 6 foot minimum is my opinion, not a rule or guideline.

I would look into firemouths, acaras, convicts, salvini, jewels, kribs, rainbows, rams and apistos. See what he likes the most and go from there. Anything above 6" is to big for a your tank imo. For dithers I would look for something that hits 2-3" and has a wide body.

I would say 125G minimum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. tyguy7760

Agreed. 75g would work for a while but they would need an upgrade at some point if the intention is to keep all 4 cichlids. Might be able to do a 5 foot 120g depending on the temperament of the cichlids. But 6 foot 125 would probably be best. Would probably still have some wiggle room for other cichlids in a 6 footer.

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Okay, lets say I have the 90 gallon tank. What fish in my stocking can I fit in there?

9. Zahc

IMO the Firemouth is the only really acceptable species for a tank with that footprint. The others get pretty large for a 3.5 foot tank.

As I said, it's a great angelfish tank, otherwise because of the footprint, you'll need to go with dwarf-medium sized cichlids. Its a shame really for such a great volume of water, tall tanks are pretty limited for stocking.

10. tyguy7760

I would remove them all except the firemouth and stock around him

11. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Hoe about if the tank consisted of the Silver Dollars, FireMouth and Sev

12. tyguy7760

A sev is going to need a 48 inch tank as do the silver dollars. So I wouldn't do that. Temporarily, the sev would be fine but long term it's going to need a bigger tank.

13. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright then, I'll try to persuade my cousin to get a 120 cm long tank.

14. tyguy7760

I'd still consider something different than silver dollars though. Might work for a time but eventually I think they would probably stress the cichlids out with all the activity in a 4 foot tank.

15. zcpetty

zcpettyWell Known MemberMember

I think for a year or less they will be fine if you start them out small. But will eventually need a longer tank. Im stuck with an oddball 3 rescues that are small but growing fast. Growout in my tiny 40 gal.. working on the longer tank once we move in the fall. They grow FAST so once they hit 3.5 inches to avoid stunting or stress i would toss them in a bigger tank. Just my minis growing out have gone from
    One inch to 2.5 in a few months. Good luck! :) they are meat fish that will one day be the size of a small dinner plate!

16. tyguy7760

yep. I've got a gold sev and 3 baby sajicas in a 40b. RIght now they are fine but eventually the sajicas will be rehomed and the sev will be in a 125. But for the next 5-6 months the 40 will be the sev's home

17. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Haha, I know right! I got my Silver Dollars at 1 inch and in 2 months they already hit 3.5-4 inches.
    Wow, sounds like you got everything planned in Advance. Good Luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice