Silver Dollars In A 36?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by nbalaw2016, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Hey all. Please forgive me as I'm not sure where this thread should be placed.

In another forum someone had suggested keeping silver dollars in my 36g which currently houses a couple yellow rock kribs and yoyo loaches. Is this doable, and, is it advisable? If so, how many silver dollars would be ideal, as I am reading that are primarily a schooling fish. While the top half of the tank would more or less belong to them, I'm eyeballing the tank now and it just doesn't seem like there's enough room for more than one or two, let alone a school, to live happily.

Thanks for the additional input.

2. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello. Personally, i wouldn't do it. I had silver dollars years ago and if i remember correctly, they can get upwards of 4 to 6 inches, and yes they prefer to be in groups. They're pretty fiesty, too. I believe they are in the piranha family, or closely related, at least, so you're likely to see agression in a tank that small, as well. If you want a schooling fish, I'd stick with one that will max out at around 2 or 3 inches.

3. BarbaraLocke

BarbaraLockeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +343
    Experience:
    1 year
    Welcome nbalaw2016! I’m not really the one to give you advice, but I can share my experience. A few months ago I rescued 2 small Silver Dollars who were in terrible shape. I wasn’t prepared to have fish that can get to be 6” (not just long, but tall,too), but these little guys were being bullied to death and literally had no tails or fins, and I just couldn’t walk away and leave them in the store. I put them in my QT tank expecting at least one of them to die ,but they both flourished. I quickly needed to find a larger tank for them, when it became obvious that they would live - so I turned to craigslist, and found a 40g breeder that I could afford. I know that these fish like to be kept in schools of at least 6, with a 75g tank being considered the minimum size, but I figured the 40g would buy me time. They are doing great in the 40g, and don’t appear stressed at all. I can’t get 4 more Silver Dollars, so I got a Moonlight Gourami, and put one of my Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank - and they all school together with no apparent pecking order, even at feeding time. It’s really fun to watch these guys swim together, and they are all getting quite big! I know I’ll need to get a larger tank In the near future just for these 4 fish, but for now it’s adequate. I’d say a 36 would be OK for 8 months at most, if you get very young ones, and especially if you get 6. They could live to adulthood in a 36g if you did literally daily maintenance on the tank, but it would be like keeping 6 grown people in a 10’ X 12’ room - not a good way to live.

4. OP
    OP
    nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Barbara, good for you for taking such care of those fish and nursing them back to health, and thanks for your thoughts. I agree that while it's potentially doable, these aren't the best fish for this size tank.

5. BarbaraLocke

BarbaraLockeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +343
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you, nbalaw! I really love Silver Dollars now that I have a couple. They’re very personable, and friendly (as much as fish can be), and always come to the end of the tank when they see me come into the room, along with the Moonlight Gourami. The SAE swims with them, and eats the same diet, but really doesn’t pay any attention to what is on the outside of the tank. It’s really neat to see how the SD’s have adapted to their disabilities (their tails have grown back, but the rest of their ‘finnage’ hasn’t recovered much) , yet they can navigate almost normally. If you’re looking for a standout fish for your 36g, consider a Moonlight Gourami! They’re peaceful in a community tank, and very beautiful - just avoid putting it with fish that would nip at it’s tendrils.

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In addition to what the others have said, I also wouldn’t have them in such a small tank with a potentially aggressive Cichlid, or even anything territorial. (Actually I wouldn’t do that in any size tank).