Silver Dollars Fighting

1. srusek Initiate Member

Greetings. I am new to this group and hope to find out an answer to this question. I have 2 big silver dollars, about 6 inches, who are constantly chasing and bumping into each other, to the point they are both finless and have indentations all over their bodies from fighting. They are in a 75 gallon tank with 8 tetras, 3 pictus catfish, 4 cory cats, and 6 upsidedown cats and one pleco. Do I need to add more silver dollars to keep them from fighting each other? I did have three silver dollars and they were all three chasing each other constantly, so I brought one to my pet store. But these two are still chasing and nipping at each other. They also don't eat much, that I can see. I put small algae wafers in the tank, they sometimes catch them, then spit them back out again and go on their way. I just can't decide what to do........get rid of one more and only have one left. Or buy more to keep them from fighting each other all the time??? Any help would be most appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    srusek

2. joe Member Member

maybe they are breeding. then again you may have some pysco fish. is that how you spell pysco.

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Psycho lol

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

According to Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills, Silver Dollar Fish are peaceful, herbivores that live on all levels of the aquarium and need to be kept in schools of several fish of their kind. I do not know if the behavior is because there are not enough of them to make up a school. You would need a rather large tank to keep a school of them though as they reach 8" in size. If a fish is aggressive at all and feels crowded the stress of being crowded is going to increase the aggression.

Welcome to Fishlore.com I do hope that you enjoy the time you spend here with us as much as I have enjoyed my time on the forum. This is a great group of people who range not only widely in age but in experience in fishkeeping.

Rose