Silver Dollars as Parents

1. tlabella12 Initiate Member

Hello, I'm interested in breeding silver dollars and have a question about when to remove the parents from the babies. I've done lots of googling and found many pages that say remove the parents after spawning because they will eat the eggs or fry. On the contrary I've also seen a few places that say the parents won't eat their own eggs and will actually raise the fry.

When I try breeding them they will be the only inhabitants in the tank so I'm not worried about other fish eating the fry. Does anybody out there have any experience breeding SDs? Did you remove the parents immediately after spawning or did the parents raise the fry? I have a group of 5 SDs that I want to try to breed together. If SDs are indeed parental care fish will all 5 raise them or just the parents?

Thanks in advance!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. tlabella12 Initiate Member

Thanks for the link Ken. I've seen the statement that the parents will eat the eggs on a lot of websites, but I've also seen some that say the parents won't, althought other fish will (which is why i will be breeding them with no other tank mates).

I'm wondering if the people who say the parents will NOT eat the babies have actually experienced that for themselves or not. Has anyone here actually experienced SDs eating their own eggs/fry or has anyone actually experienced them showing parental instincts and raising the fry?

When I try breeding them, if I don't get an answer about the SDs being good parents, I'll play it safe and remove the parents after spawning...I just think it would be cool to watch the SDs raise their fry for the first month or so :). I'm absolutely amazed at what great parents my Kribs have been to their 3 week olds.

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

I've bred different types of Silver Dollars over the years. Basically what I did was I had a long tank, dimmed lighting, and LOTS of marbles. I used large marbles as a substrate. I had the substrate around 3-5 marbles thick. Then I had a lot of disposable plants. Disposable in that I didn't worry if they were eaten by the silver dollars. I mixed in really soft silk plants with the live plants. The live plants were a treat for the parents and would kinda get them happy and ready to breed. Then I would do a large waterchange with slightly cooler water. After all that I just left the SDs to do their thing. The eggs would fall in between the marbles or be in the plants where the parents couldn't get the eggs. As for removing the parents, sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. Usually when I removed the parents I would get larger spawns. Silver Dollars do not raise their fry by the way. The fry are kinda on their own after they are born. Kribs are cichlids and instinct drives them to protect their fry. Most cichlids protect and raise their fry but not all fish do.

If you have difficulty inducing them to spawn you may want to set up a rain system. I can explain that if you want.

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any questions ;D

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

IME egg scatters do not parent. So I would not expect Silver Dollars to care for their young.

My SDs spawn almost nightly. And I see no indication of parenting.

Good luck with your project.

6. tlabella12 Initiate Member

Thanks a lot for your posts! This helps a lot. I will be giving it a try in a few weeks because I'm waiting on their tank to cycle. It's only a 3ft tank (3ft long, 1ft deep, 2ft tall). All of my SDs are 1-2 years old and range from 3-5" in diameter. Do you think this tank is too small for them to feel comfortable enough to spawn? I bought this tank to give my Kribs a tank of their own, but I figured before I move the Kribs in there I'd like to try breeding SDs.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm... you really need at least a four foot tank for SDs. That's for a smallish group. I never kept mine in any tanks smaller than 5 feet. Most people don't realize how big they can get and how active they are.

8. tlabella12 Initiate Member

I keep my Silver Dollars in a 4 ft (55 gallon) tank and I don't like doing that at all. I see how cramped they can be sometimes, but I really don't have the space for a larger tank right now. I wouldn't be keeping them in the 3 ft tank. I would just put them in there temporarily to see if I can get them to spawn, then I would remove them after I see eggs. Do you think that's possible or would they feel too uncomfortable in there?

9. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, just for spawning then. Um.. well I would try it and see how it goes. But yeah they will definitely need an upgrade soon. If you are going to do that then I suggest you try the rain method with them. Here's a video that looks like it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hyjEDzYHmg