55 Gallon Tank Silver Dollar

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A friend at work is having problems with her silver dollar. He's had these black spots for at least 3 years, but they've recently grown larger and she's concerned. The spot closest to the tail has starting rising away from the body a little bit.

I've attached pics. Can anyone help identify if anything's wrong or if it's just natural for him?

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
same thing happened to one of ours at work and the holes went straight thru him after a few days
I had never seen it and one of the girls bought E.M. Erythromycin on my day off and treated him...although hes better, the scars are still there....I still dont know what it was/is to cause this....

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, Shawnie! I wasn't able to look for Erythromycin this weekend for her, but would Maracyn Plus be okay? Or should she wait until I find the Erythromycin? She can get her cycle back quickly with any meds. I have plenty of media I can share with her to help.

Do we need to separate him to treat him? I could set up a quarantine "bucket" for him here if I need to. Or I could print out the "quick and dirty quarantine setup" information for her. If he has scars, it won't bother her. She just wants to know how to help him.

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im not sure bb as I dont ever use meds and it was done while i was off work but they did treat the entire tank ...I would qt myself tho....I dont have any experience on the different meds ...sorry darlin

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, Shawnie. I think I'll get my hands on the Erythromycin and give her the information on setting up a quarantine tank. If she's worried about it, she can bring him to me and I'll do it. I have plenty of extra bins that I could use or loan her one. They'll even hold a filter.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning BB

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here either. Odd that the fish has had the spot for years. My Silver Dollars are spotted but they look nothing like what is in the photo. Too, the spots are not raised on mine.

Hopefully someone will come along that has experienced this same issue. If it's natural, I've never seen anything like it.

Best wishes!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom