Silver Dollar

McC516
I have 3 silver dollars that I purchased together in a 60 gallon freshwater planted tank. One started to get dark stripes and Orange fins at times. I assumed it was wanting to breed. Now it is more frequent. He also turns darker shades off and on throughout the day.

For the last month my largest appeared to have fin rot but only on the top fin. It is not fin rot as I've treated and no other fish in the tank has had a problem. Could he be stressing her or being aggressive? He seems to watch her all the time or next to her. He has run the smaller one around the tank also.

Mike1995
Interesting. not sure but just my .02, be careful with them with plants. Eventually they will most likely try to eat them.

chromedome52
To be certain of sex, look at the analfin. I see the male hump on the analfin of the fish in the photo. Female would not have this, just a straight edge to the fin. A dominant male might just be getting territorial toward a lesser male.

The long adipose fin also identifies this as Genus Metynnis. Most species in this genus would require a larger tank than 60 gallons to breed successfully, but your photo shows a lot of other fish already in the tank, so that's probably not going to happen. Sometimes it's just the time of the year, sometimes a change in the barometer can set them off. If you do have a female, she could be at risk if the male keeps pushing without getting a response.

Watch them closely, any serious damage and I would remove the injured fish ASAP.

BTW, that is one gorgeous male!

McC516
Mike1995 said:
Interesting. not sure but just my .02, be careful with them with plants. Eventually they will most likely try to eat them.
I found out the hard way that they are garden mowers LOL They do seem to leave the pennywort alone, but I can't have much else. Which is a bum because I wanted a thick planted tank. Thanks

Top Bottom