Silver Dollar fin and scale loss

McC516

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a planted community tank with 3 silver dollar, 6 Cory, 1 pitcus cat, 2 nerlite snail, 1 gourmet, 6 plates, 3 zebra. It has been running with this stock for 2 years. Water parameters are within safe zones.

My largest silver dollar off and on has health issues with fin and scale loss. I treat with melifix and water changes. It doesn't change the situation or bother others in the tank. Its like it runs its course. I wonder if the male silver dollar stresses it at time. Because he will get real dark and stay very close, a bit aggressive. It doesn't bother the smaller one much, run it off occasionally.

When the silver dollar if having this issue it will stay at a corner for long periods.

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like you keep Metynnis Argenteus or Hypsauchen. Not much difference between the two.
Metynnis males display darkened fins & dark red & black body splotches when in breeding dress.
Chances are the female SD scraped herself on decor, causing injury, while being harrassed by the hormonal male.

OP
McC516

McC516

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Should I remove one permanently as it happens often? Then the battle to heal her.

New Threads