Silver Dollar Care Sheet

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Ed204, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

This thread contains information for anyone interested in keeping Silver Dollars.

Introduction:

The Silver Dollar fish comes from South America and has been a favorite among tropical fish hobbyists for many years.
    The Silver Dollar Belongs to the Characidae family making them relatives to the Piranha, Pacu and even Neon Tetras! Silver Dollars should be kept in at least groups of 6 to make them more comfortable and safe. Otherwise, they can be skittish and are easily scared.
    There are different kinds of Silver Dollars which can grow to different sizes. Ranging from the common Silver Dollar (metynnis argenteus) to the Red Hook Silver Dollar Myloplus
    Rubripinnis).
    The ideal temperature range for a silver dollar tank is between 72° and 77°F with a pH between 5.0 and 7.0.
    Silver Dollars accept a range of foods such as Flake Foods, Pellets, Vegetables and Even the occasional Blood Worm. Please also keep in mind that Silver Dollars will eat plants so if you come home with some Anubias and put in a SD tank don't be surprised that it will be gone by the next day. Subdued lighting is preferred because that will make them more comfortable and safe.
    Make sure there are no sharp objects in the tank because SD's zoom around the tank often.

Tank Size:

As stated above, Silver Dollars come from all different sizes. The common silver dollar being from a range of 6-8 inches. Juveniles should be kept in tank size of minimum 55 gallons. However, adults should be kept in a 6 foot tank because if there tendency to zoom around.

Breeding Silver Dollars:
    Silver Dollars are a egg laying type of fish. The Female can lay up to 2000 eggs and the male with fertilize them. During the breeding process, the male will constantly chase the female around until the female lets the male Come beside her. Sometimes the male will wrap his body against the females and once the females disperse the eggs the male also disperses his sperm cells.
    After 3 days the eggs will hatch and the Fry will start swimming around the tank. Since they are herbivores the it is safe to keep the eggs in the same tank as the adults but make sure to keep an eye on them.

The newly hatched Fry should be fed crushed spiralina flakes, bribe shrimp or food made for Fry. (Crushed flake food can be also used).
    Any Fry that are not fed adequately during the first few days might suffer from stunted growth and may never achieve full maturity.

Tankmates:
    Because Silver Dollars have a peaceful nature, they can be housed with a good variety of tankmates.

Silver Dollars can be housed with Medium to Large sized American Cichlids such as Severums, Green Terrors and Oscars.
    Silver Dollars can be also housed with a number of Bottom Feeders like Corydoras, YoYo loaches and Clown Loaches(SD with Clown loaches= large tank).

In Conclusion, I think Silver Dollars are very unique animals. Watching them feed is quite an experience and is never boring. I've housed Silver Dollars before and I still am. I've housed them with Blood Parrots, African Upside down Catfish and a lot more fish. The Silver Dollar IMO makes a good community fish for any tank that houses bigger fish.

Anyone is welcome to correct me and add information, as I'm only doing this to help out future and current SD owners.

Websites used to make this Care Sheet:
    Silver Dollar Fish
    Tips for Breeding Silver Dollar Fish | RateMyFishTank.com

I hope you have fun with your new Silver Dollars and I promise you they'll be heaps of fun! :)
    Best of Luck and Happy Fish Keeping! :)
    -Edward

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

From my experience juveniles can be kept in a 55g but adults should be kept in a 6' tank due to their speed and when they get startled will run banging into the tank walls and decor.

They also prefer subdued lighting.

Lifespan 10+ years; my eldest is 13 and I have a friend who had one that lived to be 30!

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Thanks for the extra info I'll be sure to add the tank size info in there.

4. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Your welcome. And you did a good write up. :)

5. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

I have had my Silver Dollars going on five years now. They do eat plants, but that's okay because mine grow so fast that I have to trim them back anyway. I used to have a problem with Bladderwort, but the Silver Dollars ate every bit of it. I really enjoy my SDs.

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Thanks!

So do I! I find them very unique and way more interesting than the average schooling fish like Bala Sharks and tin foil Barbs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018