Silver/bala Shark With Strange Lump Under Mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liiisaxo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all,

First time poster

I've had my 320litre freshwater tank running for about 6 months now, with no major problems thus far.
2 x Bala Sharks (small)
1 x Red tail Black Shark (small)
2 x Dwarf Gourami
3 x Coloured/Black skirted tetras

Today, after coming home from work and greeting the little fishies I noticed that one of my Bala Sharks has a strange, small lump under his head? I can also see a red line on it like a vein?

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks xo

Samuel97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it just a lump or isn't it fluffy/hairy at all? Is he acting any differently? Is he still eating? What are your water readings and parameters, temperature?

Sorry for all questions but this will help us help your fish

The picture is fine for me

@CindiL

T'sTropicalTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell with what looks to be a water mark on the glass. To my naked eye it seems to be a fungal infection. Can you post a better picture? If in right about fungus, get API Erythromycin

Liiisaxo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My apologies! I was so focused on the lump I didn't see that light glare I've attached some more below, he definitely doesn't have anything wrong with his/her mouth (I don't think :/) just the little pimple like lump.

He's eating and swimming normal.

Last water 25% water change was about 4 days ago.
These readings were done by the API freshwater master test kit just now
PH - between 7.4 - 7.6
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrate - looks to be 20ppm

I'll use some quick start to try and lower the ammonia, would this be the cause? :/

IMG_3811.JPG
IMG_3823.JPG
IMG_3833.JPG

In the above photo you can see the red line that goes over the bump, it looks like a vein?

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hope you know Balas grow to about 12-14"... Mine is already at 8-9".

Liiisaxo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long have you had yours?
I feel like mine haven't even grown much at all (if any) in the 6 months I've had them.

We plan on moving in about a year and will be getting another tank so at that point if they've grown alot they'll be getting their own tank or I'll be moving the smaller fish over to the new tank.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Would you test your tap for ammonia? Take a sample, add a little dechlorinator to it and then test it.

No, the .25 ammonia wouldn't cause that and at your ph is in an ammonium, non-toxic form at that level.

Honestly I am not sure what it is, for now I'd just watch it and see if it goes away on its own. It might be a cyst or a tumor, neither of which you can do anything about.

Does it look like its coming from underneath the scales pushing out?

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How long have you had yours?
I feel like mine haven't even grown much at all (if any) in the 6 months I've had them.

We plan on moving in about a year and will be getting another tank so at that point if they've grown alot they'll be getting their own tank or I'll be moving the smaller fish over to the new tank.
I've had my Bala for a little over a year. I bought him at about 1", and he's grown a little slower than 1 inch per month.

Samuel97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What do you feed them? They have plenty of space to grow out in this tank so their diet will probably be their biggest contributor to growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom