Silver Arowana Not Eating And Snakehead Fish Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levanex

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1. my Arowana have not been eating anything for 3 days now since i bought him, what should i do?
2. why those Snakehead fish always stay on water surface?
3. does clownknife fish usually have bad eyesight?

Tank information:
- 2 clownknife fish (7 inch)
- 3 snakeheads fish (4 inch)
- 1 Wallagonia micropogon (5-6 inch)
- 1 Silver Arowana (9 inch) i bought him for only $17

24 inch 17.5 gallon tank (i know its too small, i will move them to the big tank later)

i bought the Arowana for a very cheap price.

RJfwSri.jpg

J7OKLZc.jpg

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1. my Arowana have not been eating anything for 3 days now since i bought him, what should i do?
2. why those Snakehead fish always stay on water surface?
3. does clownknife fish usually have bad eyesight?

Tank information:
- 2 clownknife fish (7 inch)
- 3 snakeheads fish (4 inch)
- 1 Wallagonia micropogon (5-6 inch)
- 1 Silver Arowana (9 inch) i bought him for only $17

24 inch 17.5 gallon tank (i know its too small, i will move them to the big tank later)

i bought the Arowana for a very cheap price.

View attachment 400186

View attachment 400187
Well arowanas won't eat for a while, especially after being put into a new tank. Regardless, I don't think a 17.5 gallon tank is even going to work as a temporary tank. That's more than likely the reason why they're all acting stressed out.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there. So I think you got the answers from the people above me.

You have some very large fish in a very small tank. This will stress them out to the point of illness. They won’t eat, and they will start to fight. If your arowana was 4” long, the 18 gallon tank would be fine for a couple of months, but he isn’t. He is 9” long. Just him alone, would be stressed out in the tank he is in. But you then added 6 other large fish with him.

If you aren’t upgrading to a 200g tank in the next 7 days, you need to return them.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but this is about the quality of life of your fish. You wouldn’t keep a Mastiff in a kennel for a chihuahua. That is basically what you are doing with these fish.

Good luck. Wish we had better news for you.

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Assuming you are going to upgrade to a HUGE tank soon, just leave him alone and he'll eat eventually.
You're profile also says you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle?

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't want to pile on, but what everybody else has said is true. Those fish (which are beautiful!) need a much, much, much bigger tank. Even as a temporary tank I'm guessing you'd need 150 gallons minimum, and that wouldn't keep them long.

Give them chances for happy lives by finding them appropriate homes, then get some fish that will be happy in your 17.5. There's nothing more satisfying than knowing your fish are happy.

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
May I ask the "Big" tank's size? You would probably need 350-500 min. 17 gallons is not NEAR enough for a temporary tank for those fish. A 40 breeder could work for a small while. The fish are obviously not eating due to stress

<>< Rhys ><>

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you just say 17 gallons? what the you crazy guy that silver arowana needs at least 150 gallons they are not eating due to the fact that you have put them in a tiny environment, you need to move them soon because that arowana is looking skinny.

Alexolotl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I’m guessing the Datnoid and all those other fish you had crammed in this tiny tank/prison died? I hope your bigger tank is at least 1000 gallons, that’s what you’ll need for all these fish, but even that may not fit all the snakeheads eventually, depending on the species. I say return all the fish except the arowana, get it a 500 gallon tank, learn the nitrogen cycle, and keep nothing else in it. And put some decor in it! The 17 gallon looks super bland and is probably adding to your fish’s stress, because they have nowhere to hide.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the same guy with questions about:
Snakeheads
Datnoid and snakehead
Why Siamese tiger fish not moving
My daynoid sitting at bottom of tank
What large/med carnivorous fish for 24” tank

And others...he’s just clowning around and hopefully not torturing these fish as it appears. Sorry for being blunt but he doesn’t want our help; he just wants reactions/attention.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is the same guy with questions about:
Snakeheads
Datnoid and snakehead
Why Siamese tiger fish not moving
My daynoid sitting at bottom of tank
What large/med carnivorous fish for 24” tank

And others...he’s just clowning around and hopefully not torturing these fish as it appears. Sorry for being blunt but he doesn’t want our help; he just wants reactions/attention.
I don't think he is clowning, he would have broken his story by now - this fish are in this tank and they are not going to be moved - we have given him advice several times and have all been ignored.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Based on everyone else's replies, I have a feeling that this will fall on deaf ears, but I'll try anyway.

Even if you're able to get a larger tank very soon (and like everyone else has said, I mean very soon), until then you need to keep an eye on water parameters. The arowana hasn't been eating so isn't going to produce a lot of waste yet, but even so that's a lot of fish for a tank that's too small for any of them. I don't know if you have enough BB to efficiently process the ammonia produced by all of them.

- 2 clownknife fish (7 inch): they need 300 as an absolute minimum if you want to keep them long-term.
- 3 snakeheads fish (4 inch): don't know what kinds you have, but even the smallest types need 55 gallon minimum. Larger types need much more.
- 1 Wallagonia micropogon (5-6 inch): not sure exactly, but they get more than 40 inches when full grown. They won't physically fit in a 17.5 gallon tank.
- 1 Silver Arowana (9 inch): also need 300 as a minimum.

Since you have all these fish together, you'll need even bigger than 300. Quite honestly, I'd go for a pond at this point. What you're doing right now is going to kill them.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He doesn't know about the nitrogen cycle either, I have no doubt these fish will pass within a week, two if you're lucky. I don't even think it's possible to cycle a tank that is this over stocked. And like mentioned above, I don't think he's clowning around. Because these fish are actually in a 17 gallon tank. Luckily none of these fish are full grown.

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just realized that with the small tank, it will turn into an ammonia crazy tank. I strongly suggest you rehome the fish or get a big tank. May I ask again, what is the "big" tank size? We should try to get the message, but not be mean.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have done some calculations and a silver arowana, fully grown, can grow up to 47 inches or 3 feet 11 inches. Just for the arowana to be able to turn around you would need a 4 foot wide and tall tank. The minimum required space for a single silver arowana is 8 by 4 by 4 feet, or around 960 gallons. Even this tank size is to small however. That is only twice the arowanas body length and it’s width and height, meaning it would be able to touch the top of the water with its tail on the bottom. The actual minimum, and this is still fairly small, would be around 8 feet wide and 12 feet long, with 5 or more feet of depth. That is over 3,000 gallons. Just for a single arowana. That big tank better be HUGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom