Silly Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziabis, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I wake up very early in the mornings and I am always very tired due to sleep issues.
    My question is, I always wonder if I could turn the light on in the early morning or
    will I disrupt there sleep?

Do fish sleep, will I make them tired? Is it ok to wake them up early?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ken

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I go to bed around 8:30 p.m. every night (as the lights go out on the fish tanks). Every morning I get up around 3:30 a.m. to about 4:30 a.m. and one of the first things I do is turn the fish tank lights on. They are sleeping at the time, but they would be awake by 5 or 6 a.m. anyway.

I don't know about all fishes, but for mine, it seems they go to sleep around 9 to 10 p.m. or so, then get up around 4:30 a.m. or so.

It is an interesting and intriguing subject, though.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You can turn it on whenever you feel like it. They can sleep with the light on, but it is best to give them a day/night cycle if possible. You can set that day/night cycle however you see fit, though, and they are totally fine if you only have the light on while you are viewing them.

In my main planted tank I have my lights on a timer, it doesn't come on till noon and then goes off at 6pm, moonlights from 6-10. I based that around my schedule because that's when I'm most likely to view the tank.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Something that I do and recommend is to turn on the room lights first for a few minutes before turning on the tank lights. This will help prevent the fish from being startled by the bright tank light.

I like to keep my fish on schedule as far as when the lights are on and off. Timers work great for the lighting.

Ken

6. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I absolutely agree with you Ken on the turning a room light on first. It seems to slowly adapt the light to their awakening. Kind of like a distant lighting source, instead of a light that can startle them, etc.

I leave a room light on for about 5 minutes, then turn their light on. I don't know if the 5 minutes is benefiting the scenario or not, but it seems to be.

7. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Yes I usually do that every morning is to turn some other lights on first give them say half hour to acclimate then to turn on the tank light... Yes I agree. Thank you for giving me feedback on my "silly" question...

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

FWIW - I use a timer on my FW tank in my bedroom. When I get up at 6:20am, if it's too dark for me, I turn on the room light. The tank lights don't come on till 1:30pm. No-one in the tank seems to wake up, maybe Zoe (my angel), but nothing too alarming. The lights are on a timer, they know the routine.

My Reef tank has a simulated Night-sunrise-day-sunset-night feature, so I never worry about it.

I agree that fish need a sleep period, and timers are your best friend. IMO, ensure there is some light in the room so the bright lights don't startle your fish (and inverts such as Shrimp - they hate bright sudden lights)

9. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Thank you...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice