Silly Question. Water Changes While Cycling

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Ammonia spiked to 0.50 ppm perhaps 1 ppm, Nitrate 0, Nitrate 0. I wasn't sure because of the light, so I did a 50% water change, so I am assuming it was 0.50 ppm because ammonia is now down to 0.25 ppm after I removed removed and added 10 gallons.

My question is two fold.

Is doing 50% water changes when ammonia reaches 1ppm excessive? I have sea chem prime on order, I am using a different prime to treat the water. After every water change I add bottled beneficial bacteria. Is it all just a hype? I don't see it "cyle the tank immediately" as it claims on the bottle as I get no nitrate reading. Yeah sure you can argue it takes time for the bacteria to develop, but do does a cycle itself. Sure I will keep feeding the tank these bottled bacteria, every day.. since I will be probably doing a water change once a day. I understand it takes a week for ammonia "eating" bacteria to develop.. So I will not see a nitrite spike until next week?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm guessing a fish in cycle? Just keep it below 1ppm and you should be ok. If you insist on the bacteria in a bottle, when you add it, turn off your filter and add it straight to the filter and wait around 15-20 minutes before turning your filter back on.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm guessing a fish in cycle? Just keep it below 1ppm and you should be ok. If you insist on the bacteria in a bottle, when you add it, turn off your filter and add it straight to the filter and wait around 15-20 minutes before turning your filter back on.
Yep, fish in cycle. Thanks. I usually add them to the tank and not the filter. I will do that. Are they any good? I hope they would last a week per dose.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Imho they are useless garbage, seems like it takes a month with or without them. But other people claim to have good success with them so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I know @Momgoose56 is a fan and could probably provide further insight on them.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The answer is also two fold haha.

Since you don't have Prime yet, keep ammonia as low as possible. Under .5 ppm.

When you have Prime, keep it .5 to 1 ppm and dose the tank with Prime every 24 to 36 hours.

You want enough ammonia to keep the tank cycling, but don't want too much that Prime can't keep it detoxed.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool. I understand the bacteria live on the wheel of my Marineland penguin 100. I also added ceramic pots inside the filter. The problem is the biowheel can stop spinning over night. I placed the blue pad of the filter facing away from the biowheel. Meaning the black part faces it. I am not sure if I did this correctly or if the bacteria die out when the wheel stop spinning for hours.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool. I understand the bacteria live on the wheel of my Marineland penguin 100. I also added ceramic pots inside the filter. The problem is the biowheel can stop spinning over night. I placed the blue pad of the filter facing away from the biowheel. Meaning the black part faces it. I am not sure if I did this correctly or if the bacteria die out when the wheel stop spinning for hours.
I hate those biowheels lol. Really as long as it stays saturated the bacteria should do ok. Dry spots on the top will kill it if you get any, but it rebounds pretty quickly if it's already established. But since that is the type you have, remove it and place it submerged in the filter when you add the bb if you can. Could also pour it directly on the wheel and let it soak it up.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hate those biowheels lol. Really as long as it stays saturated the bacteria should do ok. Dry spots on the top will kill it if you get any, but it rebounds pretty quickly if it's already established. But since that is the type you have, remove it and place it submerged in the filter when you add the bb if you can. Could also pour it directly on the wheel and let it soak it up.
Cool tip, thanks!

CFPig

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is really good to know! I have been adding it to my filter with my filter on. Thanks man

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom