silly question about gravel...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by fishynoob, Dec 11, 2012.

1. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Ok so I was putting some of my old gravel up for sale it's not particularly pretty but I have been asked "what sort of gravel is it" ... I thought gravel is gravel is gravel but apparently not? Any suggestions as to what this may be?

by  , on Flickr

by  , on Flickr

by  , on Flickr

by  , on Flickr

I'm guessing that is a MTS shell in the last picture?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Pretty :). That is a MTS shell. Well... probably some other type of trumpet snail but basically the same thing. A lot of the gravel which I've seen in stores often comes from fast flowing streams in mountains.

Just google stream pebbles or something similar and you get dozens of pictures which have rocks very similar to the ones you have. See:  

3. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Thank you. That's much better than my "Erm.... stones" response I was surprised by how pretty it looked under the flash lol I'm opting to change to sand though... it's going to be..... fun!

4. RogueAgent94

Hehe I'm a sand guy all the way so changing to sand is a GOOD idea ;D.

5. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

I'm getting there lol I'm geting sand in hope of cories but I'm playing musical fish with my friends goldfish at the moment (she's using my tank as a QT for her ponds) but the two I have at the moment are stunted and she's not sounding like she wants them back..... so fish are on hold but at least I can prep in the hope.

6. RogueAgent94

:whistling: Goldies like sand......

7. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

They do? Oooo Good I thought they preferred gravel but that is why I am a noob lol They don;t seem to like the bare bottom the tank has at the moment that's for sure! I was toying with the idea of having half gravel half sand but I think that would just be a pain. It's going to be fun planning out how it will look just wish I didn't have to work so much over Christmas!

8. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

So I see granite, agates, feldspar, a basalt base with what looks like olivine or chloride inclusions, some nifty gravel :) oh some of the white stones look like a limestone or calcite sedmentary, but hard to tell without touching or a super zoom on crystal composition

9. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

You certainly know a lot about stones I haven't even heard of some of them! I'll :;google Thank you that will be most helpful. Some of the white stone things seem to have a lot of holes in. At first I thought they looked a bit like bone fragments in texture. But I hadn't seen anything like it in any stores. If I remember correctly from when I was taking it out it's quite brittle.

10. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Prob limestone them, calite is a much harder mineral. Both will dissolve in water over time tjo

I sell gems and minerals for a living:)

11. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Ah-ha! That's how you know so much lol Yea there was a white powder at the bottom of the tank when I removed everything (under all the poop oh how delightful that was poor filters!) This stuff must have been in and out of tanks for years. I guess it's prettier than I give it credit for I am just sick of seeing he stuff!

12. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

Half sand/half gravel IS a pain - been there done that. Rogue is right. My goldies prefer sand too. Another thing - if the gravel isn't the right size and your goldfish picks it up - it could get stuck. I'm all for sand. :)

13. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

I am familiar with goldies picking up gravel and it getting stuck https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...morable-moments-fish-keeping.html#post1447808

I am going for sand now but I won't get it until the 16th I asked for some for my birthday and my partner let it slip that on Sunday my parents are taking my son and I am getting a shopping trip to my local fish stores for a birthday treat. I have 3 local ones oooo choices which one do I go for the big one that is more expensive or the smaller one with better fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice