Silly Newb Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by stella1979, Apr 22, 2017.

1. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I've been fish keeping for a little while now but since I just started a community tank and feel a bad case of MTS coming on, some silly questions have popped up. I'm sure there will be more but here's what I've got for now.

When pumping water into the tank, or using a python, it is not premixed with Prime. So, when adding it to the tank, how do you do it? Full dose at the beginning of a refill or a little at a time as the volume comes up?

How long do you leave algae wafers in the tank if they are at first ignored? On that note, are algae wafers a good food to supplement invert diets? I don't have a lot of algae but I love my new RCS and Nerites.

I just noticed mold in my syphon hose! How to keep that from happening? I rinse mine in hot tap water after each use and hang it to dry. I've been using it pretty frequently lately so I guess it hasn't had enough dry time :(

That's all I've got for now folks but just want to also give a big THANKS to all Fishlorians. You guys have really helped me be a much better fish keeper. :)

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Some people put half a dose in when they do 1/2 their water change, and then add the rest in when they are done. Normally when you fill the tank up straight from the tap, your gonna want to overdose a bit for the Prime or whatever conditioner you're using just to make sure.

As far as algae wafers, what is your stocking? I normally leave my algae wafer in, my shrimps, nerite snails, rasboras, and MTS will eat it. Algae wafers are a good supplement, but RCS are not fully herbivores. You will need to feed the RCS sinking pellets or flakes(sinking are the best since they last longer)

I believe for cleaning the hose, people use hydrogen peroxide. Easier method would be getting a tube cleaner or sponge and tie a string to it. Then just run the sponge or tube cleaner back and forth by pulling the string

3. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks! My tank has 8 cardinals, 5 male guppies, 4 RCS & 2 Nerites. It's a 20gL and only 1.5 months old so I'm concerned the snails aren't getting enough to eat. I dropped an algae wafer in this morning but they haven't gone near it. I'm afraid I don't know what I'm doing with these guys. Should I physically move the snails to the food? They are rarely at the bottom and have been spending a lot of time at the water line, making me think they want to escape to find food.

4. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What are the water parameters of the tank? Normally nerites go up at the top when they find something irritating in the tank

Personally I have 3 nerites in my 40 breeder and I always drop a algae wafer every 1-2 weeks, but as always the corys, shrimps, snails, and other fish would eat it! I have had my nerites for 7 months and I honestly never see them eating??? I guess they just go around the tank eating algae and biofilm that I can't see! After awhile, I stopped worrying about them since they seem to be doing fine

5. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks again. Parameters are 0,0,30 which isn't ideal I know. We've got high nitrates in the tap but are slowly starting to switch to RO. Just got my mineral and buffering additives yesterday. Hopefully getting the nitrates down will make me worry less

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

How in Sam Hill would you clean a 50' hose then? I've got a little bit of mold in mine but since I empty the tank first I kinda think that any loose stuff would be knocked out by the water and sand(oops) first so nothing harmful would get back into the tank when filling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice