Silly Gravel Vac Question

1. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

Don't you all ever worry about sucking up a little fish with your siphon system?
    Is it not really that strong, they can fight against it? Hole is certainly big enough on my python...

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

That has happened to me. I was cleaning my betta tank and I was siphoning up water far away from her but she just had to go under it. She ended up getting sucked up and died.
    I learned my lesson, now I cover my siphons with some mesh.

3. OP
    OP
    Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

Okay now I have to count 15 cardinal tetra lol.
    In all seriousness, that’s a somber story, I want some coarse mesh with maybe a rubber band for peace of mind. To be sure parameters are perfect it sure would be nice to sit down on the coach during potentially daily water changes. ;)

4. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

Only silly question is the one we don't ask imo it's how we learn

From my experience I've never had a issue I do keep smaller tetra species I put vac in the opposite end jiggle and work my way over I don't see a need for any mesh need be careful when it's syphoning it's near the gravel or in the gravel then pull out upside down so the pre siphoned gunk doesn't go back in the water not once caught a fish or had them curious enough to come close they steer clear