Silly Filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK I know Jdhef is going to say there are not stupid questions. But this one I am nearly certain is really "not smart" but if I don't ask I am going to keep wondering.
I have a fluval 205 canister filter. (important for this question)
I kept reading that some people lost fish in the (for want of a better word) intake hose of the filter. I decided while still have no fish and trying this cycle stuff to see if my intake hose cover thingy would be good to protect the fish. When I reached my hand down, I did not feel any real like suction. I guess I was thinking it would be obvious. I felt the outtake place and it is "blowing" water out fairly hard. So, here it comes...Since the outtake is pushing out water, the intake must be taking in water, right? I meant otherwise it would stop, I think. I just want to make certain it is working properly. I was the one that put it together. And, as I am certain you have guessed by my question, not mechanical by nature.
I just have to mention that I am 5'4" and petite and have to stand on my tiptoes on a stool to reach the intake so I was not in the best positions (although a funny one) to see if the intake was working properly. I did get my fingers to the end of it, but could not really feel water moving in.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are right, I am going to say there are no stupid questions. I just hope I'm not giving a stupid answer!

I have a Fluval 205 also, and I agree that as long as water is jetting out of the outtake, it is getting enough water on the intake. If it were not getting enough water you would hear the filter making a strange sound (kind of similar to sucking a straw when there is no more liquid in the glass your drinking from.)

One thing to watch out for, if the flow from your outtake starts to slow down, you need clean out the tubes. Over the course of a couple of months mine seem to clog up and start restricting the flow pretty severly. Your first indication that you may be gettiing clogged is "stuff" will start blowing out of the outflow tube when you restart your filter.

I did find a Danio in my cannister once (and he was still alive). What happened was the strainer at the end of the intake hose somehow came off, and he got in thru there.)

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If you are worried about your fish being sucked into the filter, try placing a filter sponge over the intake tube. I use Aqua Clear sponges for this. They come in different sizes and you can always cut one to fit. Just slice an X in the sponge and slide it over the tube.

This sponge will also house beneficial bacteria. Rinse it in siphoned tank water from time to time or if you see your outflow reduced.

Ken

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the one thing that hasnt been asked here is did you prime the filter? because if not it may be running dry and not taking in any water there fore not putting out any water.

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the one thing that hasnt been asked here is did you prime the filter? because if not it may be running dry and not taking in any water there fore not putting out any water.
Yes I primed and it puts out water well. You can see and fill the water but thanks for asking. This is a complicated process for beginners and sometimes I have found that I miss the obvious when so focused on the complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom