Silk fake plants

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought some silk fake plants today because the rasboras and guppy is constantly chasing each other and one is just always hiding behind the filter. I needed some hiding spots asap. I was just going to wait til my real plants grow out, but in the mean time I need hiding spots. I put the silk plants in the tank and after just an hour they look like they’re fraying, there’s strings coming off them. Will this be an issue? Should I take them out? Not sure what I’d do for hiding spots if not using silk plants. The fake plastic used to cut up my platy’s fins, so I can’t use real plastics.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you get them at the fish store? Sorry but I have heard of people getting them from the craft store and they have wire in them. Then it rusts.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
Did you get them at the fish store? Sorry but I have heard of people getting them from the craft store and they have wire in them. Then it rusts.
Oh gosh no, they’re imagitarium silk plants from petco.

The fraying is kind of everywhere, I’ll take a pic in a minute.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Small pvc couplers work for "caves" for cichlids, maybe that would tide the fish over?

As far as the plants, I'd remove them. I doubt if the strands would hurt the fish, but I know MY fish would be eating those stings like candy LOL

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also my harlequin that I bought them for is still behind the filter... maybe give him more time? He schools with them at night and he eats, but I can’t imagine a healthy happy fish would just sit in the same spot in the dark all day

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LivebearerMom said:
Also my harlequin that I bought them for is still behind the filter... maybe give him more time? He schools with them at night and he eats, but I can’t imagine a healthy happy fish would just sit in the same spot in the dark all day
Yeah more time since you were digging around with the plants.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
That looks fairly normal for silk plants.
Okay good, if it’s not harmful I’m happy with it. They won’t be in there forever and I can barely tell without really looking at them.

StarGirl15 said:
Yeah more time since you were digging around with the plants.
Okay, I feel so bad for the little guy :( I’m really trying to make him happy.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: I saw the little guy dancing with one of the other ones (til he ran back to his filter spot) which is the first time he’s danced! Happy momma

New Threads