Siliconing a 3D background into back of tank

little257622

Hey gang.....I have a question in refrence to siliconing a universal 3d background into the back of my tank.
Question #1 Does the tank need to be bone dry to silicone the background in ? (im asking bc the tank is up & running now with the background in it )
Question # 2 (see links for pics of the back ground) 1st link shows my background without endcaps....2nd link shows background with endcaps.....I have the background with endcaps in pic 2..... either way the background has a hollow backing.
https://media.cmsmax.com/pyg2bhwsdu01ky1odnkcg/no-end-cap-rotate-90.jpg
https://media.cmsmax.com/pyg2bhwsdu01ky1odnkcg/end-cap-rotate-90.jpg
So my 2nd question is can i just silicone the bottom & endcaps so fish cant get back there im not worried about water getting back there ? (so my plan is t silicone around the background but not in the corners where the tank silicone is )
question # 3 Can i silicone around the silicone of the tank so that its easier to cut the background out whenever im done with it & not affect the tanks silicone when removing ?
Qustion # 4 As of right now the background is in my 125 gal tank being held to the back with the filters returns which is working fine so the plan is to take the fish & substrate out & then silicone the background in & let it cure & refill. How long do you think the fish will live in there temporay tote until curing is complete ?

86 ssinit

Funny I just ordered a background for my tank. Much thinner than yours. My tank is empty now and acrylic. But I just plan to put a small bit of silicone on each side on the top. The company offers clips but says it should just stay in place. Your looks much bigger (thicker). If it’s not staying in place than I would drain the tank and dry it. Put silicone in the 4 corners and let it sit for 48hrs (to cure) than refill. Good luck! And pictures when your done.

little257622

Funny I just ordered a background for my tank. Much thinner than yours. My tank is empty now and acrylic. But I just plan to put a small bit of silicone on each side on the top. The company offers clips but says it should just stay in place. Your looks much bigger (thicker). If it’s not staying in place than I would drain the tank and dry it. Put silicone in the 4 corners and let it sit for 48hrs (to cure) than refill. Good luck! And pictures when your done.
Actually mines is staying in place.....But im trying to prevent my african & plecos from moving the gravel in front & on the sides of it and getting behind it. My background in not that thick but it is curved with a rocky surface and also capped on the ends.

little257622

Ive been thinking......What do you guys think of maybe putting a line of river rokcs in front of the wall to prevent fish from getting back thier ?

86 ssinit

Well I got mine and have just laid it in. 2 clips on the top nothing else. I’ve had it like this for a week. Looks fine but no mater what there will be dead water back there. Mine is very thin. I don’t think fish can get behind it but shrimp may. I’ve cut it to fit snug.
514E3891-4CDD-44B0-952C-AEA8FB525483.jpeg
D47679E1-D3BF-4F28-849B-C154F4566F8E.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emmynk
Replies
Views
Luciano5150
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics