Silicone Sealant need to be rinsed?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hopefully I put this in the right area..feel free to move me around..

So I got some Aquarium Silicone Sealant to use with my Manzanita Sticks...Does this need to be rinsed or anything special after it dries?

I read the tube and the box and also tried looking online and it didn't say either and would rather be safe than sorry
    [​IMG]
    Currently propped up against my fridge drying...I wont have to rinse right???

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have never rinsed any of the sealant I used in my tanks. It should say something like, "harmless to fish" or something to that effect.
    I have used it for the past 2 years for glueing plastic plants, the intake tube,etc with no ill effects.

I would think also that if it weren't made to be used near or around fish, it would say so.......as long as it says, "Aquarium" approved

Anyone else have any thoughts?

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, if it's 'aquarium' silicon, it's perfectly safe.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Woohoo! That makes me feel better!

Thank you Junne & @hamalong for such timely responses :)

5. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

No, you don't have to rinse it, but you do want it to cure completely. If it's a sunny day just sit it outside. It shouldn't have any sort of chemical smell to it once cured.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

So should i wait 48 hours instead of the 24? or just set it outside tomorrow & check it tomorrow evening for odor?

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I believe the directions say 48. At least on mine it does

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would let it cure for 3-5 days just to be safe. Looking in how you used it, there are probably some deeper pockets of silicone that wont dry/cure very quickly. When they say cured in 24 hours on the package, they mean that a thin coat in warm dry air will cure in 24 hours, and even then better to be safe then sorry. If you get it wet before it's cured it won't last as long or do its job of keeping your plant down in that container well.

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I usually just wait 24 hours if it's been out in the hot sun.