Silicone: "not for aquarium use" Help

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by aylad, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ayladWell Known MemberMember

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Pool filter sand says it's not for use in aquariums either. It's just easier and cheaper for a company to print a warning like that to absolve them of any responsibility in using their product for anything other than it's intended use. It doesn't mean it can't be used - just means that they likely sell "aquarium silicone" and want to charge you 3 times more for it :)

3. AquariaUKValued MemberMember

I looked it up, most people say you can use them in aquariums.

4. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Oh, I never said thanks. Thanks, folks! ;D Jaysee, that's about what I was thinking; I just wanted to see if anyone had put it to the test. I feel better about my reasoning now.

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've used GE Silicone 1 several times with no issue.

6. beginnerValued MemberMember

i'm not sure on this one but, I think its not approved for use under the water line. so some administration doesn't approve it.....that dont mean it doesn't work. I've had tank glued together for over two years with the cheap silicone, with no problems. knock on wood

7. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Right on. I'm just using it for inside the tank, not holding the tank together, so as long as it's nontoxic I don't really care how strong it holds. ;) Sounds good, then. Thanks!

8. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

9. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, Ken!

10. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Regardless of those warnings, anything labeled 100% silicone with no mold inhibitors is safe. Certain manufacturers want you to purchase their aquarium silicone. Only difference is the label and the price. Other manufacturers add the disclaimer so no one can take them to court when the tank leaks.

100% silicone in a GE tube = 100% aquarium silicone = 100% silicone bathtub caulking.

The labels are irrelevant. It is the content that matters.

11. Xyster101New MemberMember

Some silicone sealers have Ammonia in them and need to be cycled a few times before fish are added. I would also use the Ge III version, it costs more but is labeled safe for underwater line use. Ge I I don't think is safe for underwater use.

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've been using it in one of my tanks for some time now, GE 1 hasn't had any issues. No fish died either.

13. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

GE1 works just fine. I have used it on my tanks and it works well.

14. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Any silicone used needs to be properly cured. I have not lost a single fish from using the "not for aquarium use" sealants. Cure dry for 3 days and then cure wet for a week to also test for leaks. Then drain and set up inside.

15. beginnerValued MemberMember

cured silicone has no odor. once it stops smelling like vapor its cured

16. ayladWell Known MemberMember

This is what I've read many times...

...but this is the definitive answer I was hoping for. We have a winner! ;D I'd already decided to go ahead and use it, but I'm glad someone else can confirm for sure that the warning is more or less meaningless. I'd just never seen anyone else mention the warning, so I wasn't 100% positive. Thanks!

Gotcha, thanks. I'll be diligent about letting it cure until it stops smelling.

17. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Give it a good amount of air, it cures quicker from what iv'e read with better air exposure. I set mine on its side on the porch and put a fan in front of it to keep the air circulating.

18. pulsarairNew MemberMember

I don't think they want the liability, so they say this . Go ahead and use it. I do and Silicon I has not affected my fish. Let it cure for 24 hours before moving or filling the tank with water.

Lee
    houston

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  19. LunasWell Known MemberMember

I was thinking it was due to a formula change they did that i mean simply not having it say it is aquarium safe would release them from liability the only time it would make them liable is if it said it was and was later proven it wasn't.

20. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

GE Silicone 1 is the one to use. Do not use 2. I don't know about 3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice