silicone in a crack with small hole

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by STLBluesFan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

well, ive never done this before, but i had a 15 gallon tank that i found in my brother in laws trash, stole it out of the can and got to putting some silicone on the crack that had a small hole all the way through... its been sitting a couple days, i just filled it up with water and no leaks at the moment, just waiting a couple hours i guess to see if it has a slow leak.. if not... well, ive had my eye on a pair of german blue rams ;) .... oh and i almost forgot, i have read about people putting food coloring in the water to make it easier to see if its leaking, well i didnt have any, but i had plenty of kool aid packets lol, so if it leaks, ill just put a cup under it... kool aid on tap!! oh yeah! :D

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

What kind of silicone did you use? My friend did that with her 90 gallon 8 yrs ago and it is still going strong. Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

i used the GE silicone I window and door, thats the over whelmingly recommended silicone, everyone says its the same thing as aquarium silicone, but a lot cheaper

4. S

SJ408 New Member Member

Lucky to find a free tank to DIY fix:p Hope all goes well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice