Silicone Eating Pleco??

1. eds48 Member Member

Okay as crazy as it may sound im discovering these circular holes in the silicone in the aquarium.... The only fish I can think of doing this is my pleco... More and more are appearing..[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That is so weird, do you see your plec in that area a lot?

3. Anthony10 Member Member

Wow! That's kinda cool I guess, can't be that good for the tank itself though? Idk, I have an anemone in a divided tank that is eating the silicone that keeps the divider in place!

-Anthony

4. eds48 Member Member

Yes and in other areas where there are holes too. He will just stay there for long periods of time then venture off to another spot.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never heard of a plec eating silicone but there's always a first time, wonder why he's doing it?

6. eds48 Member Member

I did a google search and some people have had it happen to the point were their tanks leaked. He gets plenty of food and I just dont want anything bad to happen once he goes into the 75 gallon or if he does...

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That doesn't sound good, has he got wood to gnaw on?

8. eds48 Member Member

There is no wood but there is 1 live plant but he doesnt even eat it! Which I find weird because plecos typically will destroy plants

9. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it's not a flaw in the silicone? My 10g has that too in one area and in that tank - 1 2-1/2" BN for one day; currently 7 tiny baby BNs for one week who would never be able to do that.

10. eds48 Member Member

Im positive this was never like that in the tank before. Along with that the tank has been set up for less than 6 months and when I first brought it up I inspected it and cleaned it and their were no problems what so ever. No marks no sloppy silicone work

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Plecs need wood to graze on, maybe he's chewing on the silicone because he has no wood in the tank.

12. hgrad98 Member Member

i agree with Coradee. A bit of advice: research every fish/plant you want to put into a tank. Think of Plecos as teething toddlers. They need to chew on things. If you don't want your pleco eating some of your plants or other things, you NEED to have wood in the tank. Just like how you give a teething toddler a specific toy or smooth object to chew on so they won't chew other things. :)

goodluck :)

~Hunter

13. eds48 Member Member

Will do :) next time i go to petco I will get some driftwood. The thing that I find weird is that I have had this pleco for over a year and it has never done this before in 2 different tanks too. But i will get some wood for the pleco hopefully everything will be resolved.

14. hgrad98 Member Member

good plan :)

15. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I have plenty of wood with my tiny BNs. And plants, and food, and algae. However, I don't think mine have done this as they're barely making a tiny dent in the zucchini.

16. eds48 Member Member

Its definitely not the blood parrots because they cant peck at the silicone because their mouths cant close the only other thing in the tank is the pleco and these holes are too perfect to be a manufacture error. And i would have noticed them before too. It could be possible that they were there before and i just didnt take the time to notice them or I did but then I forgot and just thought they were nothing but im 95% that this tank was perfect when I assembled it for my parrots
    Here are some links with people having similar concerns...
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/Fishpondinfo/ar/t6466.htm

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-325809.html

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37094

17. eds48 Member Member

UPDATE: I physically felt the "circles" and they are clear little solid lumps. im thinking it is just a manufacturer error that I did not notice at first. NCE12940 I believe you were right about it being a flaw in the silicone work! :)

18. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Great minds! I just this afternoon felt the silicone too and it is little holes. I admit in my haste to get this tank cycled I never looked at the seams... Until recently when I noticed the bumps, tiny bubble-sized holes really. But the only fish I've had in there were either too tiny or not there long enough to chew holes. I guess someday I'll take the water down (when fish are out) and put new silicone on the holes, just in case! I suspect the holes are from bubbles in the silicone. Not good! (This is a Tetra tank from PetsMart.)

19. eds48 Member Member

Do you think this can pose a threat in the future? The ones in my tank arnt like a bubble they are round but when i press on them they are solid. And they are more on the outside of the seam. Do you think I should just get another tank the next dollar per gallon sale at petco?

20. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

The holes on my silicone are on the outer edge of the seam also. My guess would be that as long as it's just there it's probably ok. But if it causes the silicone to become loose then it would be. Once I get the babies in other tanks I'll just put silicone over the holes.