Silent air pump/stone suggestions?

bumblinBee

Well Known
I don't need an intensely powerful air pump, I just want to provide a little more oxygen to my 20g. Looking for something small and as silent as you can get an air pump - within reason. I'd also like to avoid loud bubble popping, so a quiet air stone would be much appreciated as well. It's going to be in my bedroom, literally 5 feet from where I sleep and I'm not the easiest of sleepers at the best of time. Any ideas? Something on the cheaper end would be nice as well. I've never been in the market for an airstone or pump before, so I've no frame of reference, all suggestions welcome

airfix2

i use a tetra air pump. it has a constant humming, but it helps me focus on my homework.

bumblinBee

Well Known
i use a tetra air pump. it has a constant humming, but it helps me focus on my homework.
Thanks for the info - not a big fan of the constant humming concept but I'm glad it works well for you!

brhau

I use one of those USB nano air pumps for my 20 long, and I can’t hear the pump at all. I have 5 of these going in my bedroom, and the only part I hear is the water.

ruud

Well Known
I have a collar apump mini for my largest tank (that also has a large canister) to primarily ensure crystal clear water surface and additionally enhance gas exchange a bit. It's only 0.9 wattage, but suffices. Zero detectable noise/vibration. You can even attach it to the outside of your tank with the suction cup it comes with.

bumblinBee

Well Known
I use one of those USB nano air pumps for my 20 long, and I can’t hear the pump at all. I have 5 of these going in my bedroom, and the only part I hear is the water.
Watching aquarium coops video on it rn, looks like an interesting option, thanks for the suggestion!
I have a collar apump mini for my largest tank (that also has a large canister) to primarily ensure crystal clear water surface and additionally enhance gas exchange a bit. It's only 0.9 wattage, but suffices. Zero detectable noise/vibration. You can even attach it to the outside of your tank with the suction cup it comes with.
Never heard of this one before, gonna do some research - thanks for the input!

newbietetra

i think air pumps are hit-and-miss.

i had a small 3-watt pump that was extremely quiet.
so i ordered a second one--same brand and model.
The second one was much louder.

So, best to buy from your local fish store. That way you can test it before paying for it.

Guppy777

Have several Tetra air pumps, quite and dont cost a lot.

bumblinBee

Well Known
i think air pumps are hit-and-miss.

i had a small 3-watt pump that was extremely quiet.
so i ordered a second one--same brand and model.
The second one was much louder.

So, best to buy from your local fish store. That way you can test it before paying for it.
You know - I've been reading reviews and looking at different options, and I've seen quite a few people bring this up. I think there a lot of variation within the same make and model of product, this method is probably the best bet for finding a quiet filter.
Have several Tetra air pumps, quite and dont cost a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the tetra whisper but after watching a few comparison videos, I think the current models are still a little too loud for me - really appreciate your input though!

newbietetra

You know - I've been reading reviews and looking at different options, and I've seen quite a few people bring this up. I think there a lot of variation within the same make and model of product, this method is probably the best bet for finding a quiet filter.
might be a good idea to at least attach a short hose when testing for loudness. it is more realistic that way.

i am looking to build a small cabinet just to house the pump and damping the noise.

Aaronious

look for the small USB ones. they come with a clip, just hang it from something in a way that it doesn't touch anything... silent pump.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
I don’t think any air pump stays quite for all its working life and bubbles of any kind make a noise. Including those from an air stone.

As it’s in your bedroom and you are a light sleeper why not uses a small water pump to agitate the surface which will help as much as an air stone to break the surface tension.

I am currently running 35 plus tanks on one air pump that’s located many feet away in the garage. I like using air to filter multiple tanks but do not recommend even the bubbles in a bedroom. You did ask for a frame of reference.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views
Nitsson
Replies
Views
fishytingles
Replies
Views
atmmachine816
Replies
Views
Akari_32

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Don't forget to say hello and welcome new members! Feeling welcome here can go a long way as to how advice is accepted or rejected.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom