Silencing your AC

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by callistra, Dec 22, 2012.

1. callistra

callistraNew MemberMember

How many people have successfully silenced the grinding on their AC? I'm reluctant to use vaseline (petroleum product ew) so I ordered some silicone based aquarium lubricant, but recently I read about people pulling the white bit off the impeller and wrapping the tip in teflon tape?! Anyone do this? I'm not sure how to pull it off without breaking it..

I went through three AC filters and an additional impeller from Hagen's warranty department, all having various degrees of noise. Finally I got a combo new impeller and motor and SILENCE.. well for a few minutes then grinds worse than ever.. I think it's just plain imbalanced/poor design. I'm trying to get them to send me a new motor because this one seems to be flat giving out now, but they just want me to ignore the motor going out and put cooking oil on it.. so much for a warranty..

2. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

I use petroleum jelly on the propeller. It works great! I haven't been able to tell when I need to re apply the jelly because I haven't done it since I started, but it's vibrating a bit again now so I will do it soon. It's been about 2-1/2 months since I started.

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

There shouldn't be any grinding noise associated with the running of the filter, I would check to make sure the impellar is in perfect shape (no little bits missing or bent) and make sure the housing is free of foreign objects.

If thats all fine I would apply your silicone based lubricant to the shaft of the impellar only. That, and a little time if its new will usually quiet most AC's.

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I use Vaseline on my brackish tank's impeller. It has not bothered my fish that I know of, and it's been a good 2 months.

5. hacksaw15

hacksaw15Valued MemberMember

The only noise my AC's made was from the lid vibrating. I took lids off and now they are as silent as my canister. I have two 55 gal stacked 3 feet away from my bed and no noise.

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

You can also try squirting some Nova Aqua onto the impeller and into the well area. It provides body slime for fish and will lube the impeller too. If you can't get the grinding to stop, I would return it if possible. All of my Aqua Clear filters are silent.

What type of substrate are you using? If you are using sand, you may want to add a sponge over the intake tube. You can use an Aqua Clear sponge, slice an X in the sponge and slide it onto the intake. Rinse the well area to make sure there is no detritus inside it.

Ken

7. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Have you cleaned the well of the motor? Use a cotton swab to get all the way down into it, you'll be amazed at the gunk that accumulates in and around the motor.

8. OP
    OP
    callistra

callistraNew MemberMember

I have a sponge on the intank tube and I'm using just standard size black gravel. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.. even with a q tip.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  9. k8XP

k8XPValued MemberMember

The only time my AC 50 made noise like that was when the motor was touching the wall... I also make sure my water level stays high, so everything is completely silent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice