Siilly noise problem, help fixing it :)

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok... so, I am cycling my 55 fishless with ammonia drops. We decided to leave it in the living room. (my room is WAY too small for a 55) and right next to it is my aunts room.

The noise of the bio-wheel is too strong at night according to her.

Since the tank is just cycling, she has been disconnecting it at night and back on in the morning "there are no fish in there yet" is the logic, and she says that she will not disconnect it anymore when there are fish in there... but its been almost a week since I began cycling and I still have not seen a bit of nitrite, and since I seeded the tank I guess its about time I saw it.

Do you guys think the tank can still cycle turning the filter off 7 hours a night? (ammonia is @ 5ppm). If not, what can I do to reduce the noise?! (relocating is not an option).

Thanks

Alessa

ray_sj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have an Emperor filter? Or the Penguins? Is your Bio-Wheel seated properly?

My Emperor's spray bar is ridiculously loud, so I just point it away from the Bio-Wheel and into the water. The Bio-Wheel will still spin from the water current.

My Penguin is almost completely silent.

If you can't get it quiet, you could just remove the Bio-Wheel for now. The bacteria should grow on the filter media itself. Turning off the filter is probably a bad idea for cycling though.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its a penguin... and according to her is not only the biowheel, its the filter itself.

to me its almost silent... (maybe use to the humming already?).

Oh gosh.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My penguins are almost completely silent... Maybe some part of the tank is leaning on the wall causing vibrations?

Or try to re-seat the bio wheel in the filter again.

Good luck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ShaynaB said:
My penguins are almost completely silent... Maybe some part of the tank is leaning on the wall causing vibrations?
I was thinking the same thing.

If you remove the biowheel at night I'd suggest floating it in the tank.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucy said:
I was thinking the same thing.

If you remove the biowheel at night I'd suggest floating it in the tank.
Its not actually the "biowheel" it is the noise the filter makes (how would you call it... the intake engine?) gosh I forget the word!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was agreeing with the vibration on the wall.

Is your Aunt's bedroom next to yours? Perhaps there's something you can put between the aquarium or filter and the wall that would insulate the sound?
Or tell her to turn on her radio.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucy said:
I was agreeing with the vibration on the wall.

Is your Aunt's bedroom next to yours? Perhaps there's something you can put between the aquarium or filter and the wall that would insulate the sound?
Or tell her to turn on her radio.
nope, right next to the livingroom, but they dont share a wall!

she is just staying for a little with us, then she will be leaving in a few weeks... but meanwhile I am wasting a lot of time cycling the tank... and I am not about to wait until she leaves! (not to sound mean, I love my auntie ).

im trying to figure out... Really, to me it does not sound that bad!

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it a new penguin?

I use penguins on all of my tanks and i find the new ones noisier until they have "broken" in.

A little bit of algae/"gunk" on the moving parts helps lubricate it and quieten it down.

Could you swap it with an existing filter, keeping the same filter media in the existing tanks? This way if it was on an existing tank it might build up the "gunk" needed quicker to quieten it down? This is what i did to break in my new ones.

Anna

acidpope

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Penguin 200. Even when it was new it was silent. The only sound came from the water running back into the tank.

If you think the filter is silent and the only complaint is coming from your aunt I'd say it's just the person. There's no reason to address the filter when the filter is fine.

Different people can sleep through different things. I sleep with a tv, aquarium, lighted computer case, alarm clock led and heater/ac-fan running with no problem. I also sleep like a baby through violent thunder storms (though I wish I wouldn't because I love them!). Meanwhile my mom unplugs or covers her alarm clock because the light the numbers give off is too bright or "wakes her up".

Then again is could be personality. Example: My mom will fall asleep during the day watching tv. Yet at night she'll wake up in a closed off room, go down the hall and tell my dad to turn the tv down because it's too loud, even though the volume is lower than it was when she fell asleep watching it earlier in the day.

Personally I think it's psychological. It's your place and I'm sure there is a polite and subtle way you can tell her it's staying on during the night. That or hand cuff her to the bed .

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you're definately right... it is psichological.

I also thought the same about the filter getting quiet as it "breaks in" I'll keep you guys updated.

dg512055

Reaction score
Read this thread that I started a while back. My noisy filter problem is solved.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
dg512055 said:
Read this thread that I started a while back. My noisy filter problem is solved.
Thanks! I will check it out... it is really becoming a problem now since it is not cycling by turning it off every night.

CoryMac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On mine its not much the wheel, but the noise the power filter makes and the water trickle no matter how high or low the water level is.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom