Signs of a Clueless LFS emplyee

Shine

Well, its not really a top 10 list at this point, but at the end we can choose some of the 'best' (I say that laughingly) lfs employee utterances for the top picks. Lets see what we can come up with

Now don't get me wrong--I know there are plenty of knowledgeable lfs employees out there.... But this isn't about them ;D This is just about the absurd statements I have overheard, or been told while 'testing' out employees knowledge... or lack thereof

Soooo.... here's some of my favorites showcasing clueless employees:

a) You can easily keep 4-5 goldfish in a 8 gallon tank (biorb)

b) You can buy just ONE tetra (apparently they aren't schooling fish)

c) when you hear them refer to "Nemo fish" --apparently training at that store was nil

d) cory cats are algae eaters

e) you can buy 2 common plecos for a 10 gallon...

f) If you buy two male JDs one will CHANGE SEX and they will breed :shock: (hmmm... maybe he thought they were like ramshorn snails?)

LyndaB

There are a ton of these threads on this forum.... you might be interested in this one:

Shine

lol--LyndaB! Thanks for pointing that one out. The advice on 'cycling' is always classic. I think my favorite from that thread has got to be the 2 kissing gouramI in the 6 gallon though. You have to wonder if some of the employees can even read given that in petsmart they actually have cards showing recommended tank sizes for each fish... and if you listen to them talk they clearly don't even look at them!

LyndaB

I think as long as they can sign their own name on the employment app and they fit into a uniform, they're hired.

bwreynolds

well you have to be able to handle snakes too and that was a no go for me hahah

Borisbbadd

Do you know what a fish is ?

Yes, my dad caught one once.

Your hired.

Shine

6) When you mention 'Prime' and they look blank, or start talking about bank rates

5) Anytime they recommend putting fish that grow to over a foot in a 10 gallon (or smaller) tank

4) When "cycling" means: add water, conditioner, and fish within 48 hours

3) When they don't understand the difference between Fresh and SaltWater

2) When they tell you that 'water changes kill fish' or 'Fish don't like clean water'

1) When "Finding Nemo" was clearly their instructional video

... not quite top ten yet--any additions you can think of?

andrearamirezo91

The guy at my LFS told me this when I bought my betta and tank:

1) Your betta will die without an oxygen pump

2) If you put him in that 5G you can definitely put one or two "small" goldfish with him

3) Ok fine so no goldfish.. How about four or five cory cats with your betta for that 5G?

4) Cories too big for that tank?? Hmm.. Guppies are small and pretty, take some of those

5) - Him: you want SAND?! But it is so hard to clean.. I mean you can't siphon it because it will go away
- Me: No, when you siphon the sand you do it some inches higher so the debris goes out and the sand doesn't
- Him: That's what I'm talking about! All the poop that goes all the way to the bottom of the sand will never get cleaned
*facepalm*

Nutter

My favourite has always been: "an Oscar will be fine in your 20gal with some Neons & Guppies".

Also high on my list is:
1: All cichlids are very aggressive.
2: Bettas can live in a cup of water, that's why we sell them like that.
3: What's water conditioner?
4: It's too difficult for me to net a specific fish, you will just have to take whichever one I catch.
5: Oscars are not cichlids.

bassbonediva

How about when they tell you what they have in their 14 gallon tank at home and your eyes just keep getting wider and wider because that many fish wouldn't fit in the 55 gallon you have set up in your living room at the moment.

Lexi03

My favorite recent experiance:

Me: I would like a German Blue ram(as I point derectly at the tank)
Saleperson : ok (goes to get net and dip cup)
Salesperson: ok, now what did you want?
Me: a German Blue Ram
Salesperson: and which ones are they?
I point them out again.
Salesperson: oh, those are pretty, I've never heard of them before.(turns around to pick up cup) now which one was it?

catsma_97504

Here are my issues with the bad info being given.........

1. Are you sure you only want 1 goldfish in your fish bowl? 2 would be better and they can keep each other company.

2. All cichlids can be kept together (African and South American)

3. All you need to do is to top off the tank. And once a month do a 10% water change if you think it is necessary.

4. Bettas will drown in a 5G tank because they cannot swim. (I almost fell over)

5. Bettas do not need heat.

6. Bettas should never be kept in a filtered tank. They cannot swim (Huh? A fish cannot swim? How is it they don't sink to the bottom then?)

7. Recommending tender leafed live plants with herbivores. "Just purchase extras so your fish don't eat them before they start growing good."

8. You can keep mollies and guppies together. They don't cross breed.

9. "All fish require salt." (Then why is it called fresh water?)

10. You don't need to waste time cycling your tank. All you need is to add <insert one of the bad bacterial products> to the tank every week.

11. You can remove your filter when keeping live plants with fish

If I thought about some more I could come up with others. The misinformed, or ignorant in some cases, never cease to shock me.

Lucy

I've heard some doozies but this one topped all (maybe lol).
My daughter had to pull me a way.

We're heading toward the check out of one of the chain pet stores.
Child, mother and salesperson come up behind us.
Child is looking at her bag with 2 goldfish in it.

Child: Why is the one fish lying upside down.

Clerk: Don't worry, he's resting. He'll perk up when you put him in his bowl.

:shock:

Akari_32

Lucy said:
I've heard some doozies but this one topped all (maybe lol).
My daughter had to pull me a way.

We're heading toward the check out of one of the chain pet stores.
Child, mother and salesperson come up behind us.
Child is looking at her bag with 2 goldfish in it.

Child: Why is the one fish lying upside down.

Clerk: Don't worry, he's resting. He'll perk up when you put him in his bowl.

:shock:
Oh... my... god...

I think we just found a winner, here guys! Dude, you just crushed that kids hopes and dreams when they got home!

andrearamirezo91

Awwwww poor little girl!!! I feel so bad when I imagine her getting home to find her new little fishy dead

At my LFS they were selling a Lionfish in a 5G as a combo already set up Poor fish could barely spread his fins

Cognity7

When starting my tank I was told by the Petsmart Clerk that since my tank was cycling I shouldn't do any water changes for atleast 3 months.

I was also told that 4-5 figure 8 puffer fish would do fine in my 20 gal (don't pee your pants-I didn't listen)

I also was told by a WalMart employee that the Zebra Danios I wanted- I should pick the slowest ones because they are easiest for him to catch. (he said it would be best for me because they would be the least aggressive)... one was half alive and he seriously almost put it in the bag for me. he was like, You sure you don't want him? he's kinda cute bobbing up and down upside down...

last but not least I was also told that I shouldn't feed my fish in the tank with my ghost shirmp freeze dried blood worms because the ghost shrimp will turn red and die.

FiremouthGuy

Shine said:
6)

1) When "Finding Nemo" was clearly their instructional video
At least Finding Nemo has a FILTER! Although maybe they interpreted them stopping the filter as a sign that fish don't like filters?

andrearamirezo91

FiremouthGuy said:
At least Finding Nemo has a FILTER! Although maybe they interpreted them stopping the filter as a sign that fish don't like filters?

Ked31

Do you know if they need a high school diploma to get a job? I don't think they do. For example:
Me- I need 25 inches of this background.
Fish lady- we sell it in increments of 6 so do you want 26 inches or just 20?
Me with puzzled look on face- I guess just give me 30 then
Fish lady now looking confused- is 30 an increment of 6?
Me- yes
Fish lady- ok
She cuts the background and ended up giving me 32 inches and charging me for 36 inches. I didn't bother to argue with her. I could tell she didn't quite understand the concepts of math that a 3rd grader can easily understand.

roy

lol some whoppers in here, its hard to believe they could come out with those.

Jayfeather9

Hahaha!!

OMG!!!!! I fell off my chair reading these!!! Theresa so sad with the little girl though. She was probably disappointed when she got home! Well they say to never listen to the advice given by petco or
Petsmart. If Only people would learn! To and petcetera closed down! It was a good place. Buy seriously these are hilarious!

Latest threads

Top Bottom