signiture

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
any ideas why I can't update my signiture !! it won't let me scroll past my first tank? my computer is a bit possessed at the moment, is it just me or any one else having this trouble? :

Tan :-\

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
oh dear :-[!! It seems you and I may have exceeded that !!! that's a shame cos the sigs are so useful to find out what people have and when they have problems you can glance at their tank and figure out why. how annoying!! :. when did that happen. must be wuite recent cos mine says my danio died yesterday and it was a few days ago now (ooops, should've changed it sooner!!).....hence went to change it today, only to discover I couldnt !!!
tan

Terry

Reaction score
tan.b said:
oh dear :-[!! It seems you and I may have exceeded that !!! that's a shame cos the sigs are so useful to find out what people have and when they have problems you can glance at their tank and figure out why. how annoying!! :. when did that happen. must be wuite recent cos mine says my danio died yesterday and it was a few days ago now (ooops, should've changed it sooner!!).....hence went to change it today, only to discover I couldnt !!!
tan
Hi. Not to be rude, but I feel the opposite way you do - I find the signatures very annoying. They just make posts harder to read with all of those repeats of long signatures every time a person posts another reply. I wish I could turn them off like I can in other forums. I'd be happy with just looking at a person's profile if I really to see their tank information. Just my own personal opinion.

sick-lid boy

Reaction score
I had the same problem, tan.b Went to update my sig and noticed the character limit preventing me from revising. I personally enjoy looking at everyone's sig and seeing what kind and how many tanks/fish they have. I don't find long signatures distracting, annoying in the least. It's very easy to see the difference between a sig and a post. About the only reason I can think of as to why there is suddenly a character limit on sigs, is maybe it would shorten the page and make less scrolling... if scrolling is something that is that annoying...

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Terry said:
tan.b said:
tan
Hi. Not to be rude, but I feel the opposite way you do - I find the signatures very annoying. They just make posts harder to read with all of those repeats of long signatures every time a person posts another reply. I wish I could turn them off like I can in other forums. I'd be happy with just looking at a person's profile if I really to see their tank information. Just my own personal opinion.
I believe there is a way to turn them off. Just go to 'Profile' at the top and on the right there is a choice of look and layout preferences. Just go to that and you should be able to turn them off.
Tom

Terry

Reaction score
sick-lid boy said:
I had the same problem, tan.b  Went to update my sig and noticed the character limit preventing me from revising. I personally enjoy looking at everyone's sig and seeing what kind and how many tanks/fish they have. I don't find long signatures distracting, annoying in the least. It's very easy to see the difference between a sig and a post. About the only reason I can think of as to why there is suddenly a character limit on sigs, is maybe it would shorten the page and make less scrolling... if scrolling is something that is that annoying...
As you pointed out, scrolling is exactly one of the things about the huge sigs that's annoying to me. Not to single you out, as you're about the same as most people, but your post & sig alone take up my whole screen - and my screen is set high on a 1280x1024 resolution! At a lower resolution it has to be even worse. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but it's probably why they finally put a limit on the size of the sigs. Like I said, it's just a personal preference of mine. I'm not really complaining - just pointing out that it's obvious from them putting a new limit on the sigs that not everyone is against limiting the sigs. I took my sig off for that reason. I'm not out to impress everyone with the number of tanks & fish that I have on every post I make - I'm here to learn new things, and maybe at times assist others.  

Terry

Reaction score
Tom said:
Terry said:
tan.b said:
tan
I believe there is a way to turn them off. Just go to 'Profile' at the top and on the right there is a choice of look and layout preferences. Just go to that and you should be able to turn them off.
Tom
Thanks for the help Tom. I finally found it, even though I've looked before. I did locate it and turned them off, but it made no difference. They're still there, even after logging off, closing the forum & logging back in. It's set up in my preferences, but they're still all showing? I'll go check & see if there's anything I missed,

Terry

Reaction score
I still see the sigs. Here's my setup. Is there something else I need to change?

50.jpg

Thanks

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love to look at peoples signatures! Its great to be able to see what people have in their tanks, even get ideas for what to put in yours. But that's just me.
Brianna

EDIT: WOW they made them incredibly short now :'( . I can hardly fit my ONE tank in it!

Terry

Reaction score
bbfeckawitts said:
I love to look at peoples signatures! Its great to be able to see what people have in their tanks, even get ideas for what to put in yours. But that's just me.
Brianna

EDIT: WOW they made them incredibly short now :'( . I can hardly fit my ONE tank in it!
See my recent post - Mike has fixed something up that should solve your problem. Here's Mike's quote on what he set up (Mike is the Fishlore admin):

"I just added a new board where members can create a post to highlight what's in their tanks. Then they can link to the post in their signatures. Read here:

If you have any questions, post them under my "Directions" post and I'll answer them there. "

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Terry

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow!!! what a lot of replies today!!! i've not been away from the forum that long surely! well, just my opinion so don't all shout at once at me, but I prefer the option that tom was going for where the viewer should get to choose if they want the sigs on or not (why won't that work?), so people like me and brianna etc get ideas of what fish do and don't go together, and what invert's to consider etc and get ideas from other tanks. i've got loads of ideas from other tanks in sigs. being a beginner in the fish world I am soaking up all the ideas. I don't know anyone with tanks, the fish shops just have a basic tank with 1 maybe 2 species in so are of no inspiration at all. I can see for terry etc why it may get annoying when you see the same big sig coming up every time and having to scroll past it cos it doesn't interest you, and I can understand why the more experienced fish keepers have less interest in other tanks as theirs are already established, but its a shame we all have to do without. . if only me tom and brianna etc could see them and terry could disable them on his log-in it would be the perfect compromise. having to go through a link to see what people have seems a bit of a faf. a quick glance while scrolling is better. I'll be sad to see them disappear. anyway.......that's my opinion done!!
tan

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tan.b said:
Wow!!! what a lot of replies today!!! i've not been away from the forum that long surely! well, just my opinion so don't all shout at once at me, but I prefer the option that tom was going for where the viewer should get to choose if they want the sigs on or not (why won't that work?), so people like me and brianna etc get ideas of what fish do and don't go together, and what invert's to consider etc and get ideas from other tanks. i've got loads of ideas from other tanks in sigs. being a beginner in the fish world I am soaking up all the ideas. I don't know anyone with tanks, the fish shops just have a basic tank with 1 maybe 2 species in so are of no inspiration at all. I can see for terry etc why it may get annoying when you see the same big sig coming up every time and having to scroll past it cos it doesn't interest you, and I can understand why the more experienced fish keepers have less interest in other tanks as theirs are already established, but its a shame we all have to do without. . if only me tom and brianna etc could see them and terry could disable them on his log-in it would be the perfect compromise. having to go through a link to see what people have seems a bit of a faf. a quick glance while scrolling is better. I'll be sad to see them disappear. anyway.......that's my opinion done!!
tan
I completely agree.
Brianna

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Though I like the ease of checking someone's sig for quick info when replying to one of their posts, I've gotten into the idea of the separate page. I don't think anyone will have a reason to read all my rambling, but it does make for a nice journal of your tanks. I've put in date the tank was established, last time I did a filter change and other such info that will help me to remember what I did and when. As I get more tanks it will be even more helpful.

Now on the flip side I would also just like to be able to see at a glance the simple form of what's in a person's tank. I was thinking something along the lines of putting a few words to name your tank and then if you move your mouse over the words you would get a tool tip type pop up that shows what's in the tank. For example, move your mouse over top of the words below (no need to click just hover your mouse over the words):

[abbr=20 Gal Tank with 5 Red Eyed Tetras]Newbie Tank[/abbr]

If you left your mouse over the "newbie tank" name above long enough you would see a note pop up saying it was a "20 Gal Tank with 5 Red Eyed Tetras". The problem with this is that it doesn't allow for much text as once you hit the limit it puts in "..." and you can't see any more. Also it would require the removal of the sig limit in order to put the code in place which means some people would ignore the requirement of using this form and you would have to police people's sigs. So not the best option but it's an idea. Something with java script might work but if someone doesn't have it enabled in their browser it wouldn't help them. I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just haven't come across it yet. Maybe someone with more coding experience could think of something? I only know enough to get into trouble ;D.

New Threads