Significantly lower pH for biotope

Centaurius

For my new tank, I’m trying to create a SA blackwater biotope (Rio Negro). The tank is now a couple of weeks into the cycling process and everything is progressing nicely. The one problem I have is that my tap water has a pH that is close to 8. As my goal is to create a biotope that is as realistic as possible, and because I’d also like to try breeding Tetra and Apistogramma species, I want my pH to be around 6 at most. The tank is already filled with peat, driftwood, Catappa leaves and a couple of other botanicals. I’ve been using 100% RO for water changes. Still the pH won't drop below 6.8, and since the scale is logarithmic I reckon I still got a pretty long ways to go.

Does anybody know of any safe ways to significantly lower the pH besides the methods I’ve already tried? Only thing I could think of was CO2, but since my KH is very low I’d say that would kill the future inhabitants?

Mudminnow

Given you're using RO, peat, and botanicals, I would guess it is just a matter of time before the water gets more acidic.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Centaurius
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
  • FoldedCheese
  • pH