Sigh. No Crs For Me...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by MaeKay, Apr 17, 2017.

1. M

MaeKay Valued Member Member

My parameters from the tap and in my tanks is very stable...but also very alkaline and hard: pH 8.0-8.2, GH 7, KH 11. So no CRS for me.

When reading about all the different neo varieties they say up to 7.5 pH, but I have kept RCS for a few months just fine. Will they breed for me, though, at my parameters? (75F in one tank, 78F in another tank simply because I acquired a free Aqueon preset heater that fits the 5.5 g tank...)

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

i personally have not graduated from cherries to crystal yet. cherries are much more tolerant of not "ideal" water params and will still breed prolifically. im ignorant of the nature of crystals however i believe consistency is more important and i believe drip acclimation is critical for success of new individuals introduced.

3. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

I have similar water, my RCS breed in it. The purchased adults have a high mortality rate, but the offspring do well.

4. OP
    OP
    M

That's another reason I'm buying from Petco at first. Although the original 3 I had survived very well until I put mollies in their tank (stupid me). They went into hiding and since re-homing the mollies I can clearly see 2 are left.

My second batch I got 6 and I can at least find 3. It's a super heavily planted 10 gallon tank so they may be in there, just busy in the brush.

Whenever I find a dead body I just bring it back to Petco for a refund. There haven't been a ton but enough.

I worry that if I only buy 10 online I'll be left with only 3-5 and I wanted more genetic diversity than that.

5. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

With your heavy planting you may already have baby shrimp. I have WT RCS in a 55 community tank, they were already 1/2 inch when I first saw them.

In my shrimp only colored RCS tank, I recently found a few tiny tiny ones when I syphoned water out into a bucket my last two water changes.

6. OP
    OP
    M

Yes, I definitely have at least 2 babies in my shrimp only tank. They're at least 3 mm long. One of the females came home berried on 3/31. But I don't think I have any males so unless a baby turns out to be male I don't think I'll have a self-sustaining colony yet.

These ones also aren't as high quality as I would like so I'm not too picky about breeding these. I just wanted to make sure I could keep them alive before paying a lot for fancier ones.

7. OP
    OP
    M

[​IMG]

Here's a red cherry in my 55 gal, lightly planted. I really like the saturation of this one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice