Sigh... Fungal Infection?

1. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

image.jpg image.jpg Does the following look like a fungal infection? I feel like my platy is a bit dark today, and upon inspection I found two white spots on his head.

Water parameters:
    Ammonia: between 0-.25 ( I treated the tank with erythromycin 1.5 weeks ago for 2 days and I rhink I lost a few bacteria)
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5 (water change done yesterday
    PH: 7.6
    Temp: 25
    Water change frequency: 2x per week, 25-30% to maintain a stable pH

Background: I bought 2 Bolivian Rams maybe 3 weeks ago. Both wouldn't eat, got lethargic, dark and died. I also bought some sterbai corys at the same time and lost 1 of the 6 (no symptoms). When I bought them, I put them in my main tank and treated the whole tank with API General Cure. I treated the whole tank a second time plus added erythromycin maybe 10 days but to no avail, I lost the 3 fish. I also treated 3 days with Marineland all in one remedy... But I don't recall which fish it was. I have a platy in QT as of yesterday because she was flashing quite a bit and was starting to hide (some bullying happening in the tank too). I switched treatment to Prazipro.

I'm getting discouraged!

I should also mention he's eating and his personality is his regular bully self. o_O

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

The poor things. Their tails are almost gone. The prazi is always a good choice for flashing. It is effective and mild. For these platys, I would use nutrafurazone for the same reason. It may not always be effective, but it is not detrimental. It is good for gram negative and some gram positive bacterial infections. With the fin rot I see, It is usually bacterial. I would give that a try.

That is good. He's ready to fight.

3. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

image.jpg The orange one is clamped because he's chasing her... I don't think it's fin rot... Or am I wrong? Here's a pic of their bodies. @KimberlyG

Attached Files:

4. KimberlyG

I am concerned that you have had other fish loss. The rams are so fussy as far as acclimation to new parameters that I can overlook that, but the cories? I just am not sure what is going on here. (Although some people claim that they just can not keep cories. I have never had a problem.)

Their bodies look good to me. Do the fins just look clamped?

5. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I'm concerned too. I just don't know what's going on. The Rams and corys came from the same store but the platys I got in two batches - one 5 months ago and the second batch 3 months ago and I've had no illness in my tank at all until now. I just feel at a loss.

My blue platy is a jerk and I've been trying to catch him and remove him. I had too many males and they're being nasty. The blue platy looks dark to me.. Or maybe a bit dull but he didn't have those 2 white patches yesterday.

The orange female is being bullied, which is why she's clamping but if I don't get that male out soon it wouldn't surprise me if she fell ill too.

6. KimberlyG

Oh, I just saw the two white spots on the platty's head. Showing signs of columnaris perhaps.

She could be clamping because of the stress. The spots on the blue platty are concerning especially with the recent deaths.

7. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Oh no... So do you think I should treat him separately or the whole tank?

8. KimberlyG

My best suggestion would be to treat with Jungle Fungus Clear. It has the nutrafurazone I was talking about but it also has an ingredient for fungus. Normally if I was pretty certain that it was columnaris, I would combine that with kanamycin, but having no idea why the other fish died, I am leary to do that. Multiple treatments with kanamycin can cause kidney problems.

With columnaris, it travels through the whole tank so you would have to treat the entire tank. (again, I am only going there because of the multiple deaths)

9. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Thanks, I'll pick up some Jungle Fungus Clear or something with nutrafurazone if I can't find that. I'll also grab some kanamycin, just in case I need it.

Do any of these kill your beneficial bacteria? It took me over 4 months to cycle...

Thank you for your time as well, @KimberlyG, I know you're busy helping the masses. :)

10. KimberlyG

Neither of the drugs is suppose to harm the cycle but of course I always watch for any spikes in ammonia which you tell you something is going on. I have never had nutrafurazone effect my cycle. Fortunately I have not had to use kanamycin. (I should have in a case of serious fin rot. My pH is 8.0 and nutrafurazone is less effective at higher pH levels. When these two medicines are combined, they amp each other up and are quite effictive.)

11. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Thanks, I appreciate it.

12. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

@KimberlyG I see a second platy has a very tiny white spot beneath his lip... is that further confirmation of columnaris? I'm 36 hours into treatment with Furan-2, should I add in the kanamycin as well or just wait a bit?

All fish are still eating well and acting normally. The original sick platy is more aggressive than normal but that could also be due to less females in the tank. He is flashing a bit... not lots though.

13. KimberlyG

I would add the kanamycin since you saw the white appear after you had started the furan-2. Is platty 1 doing any better? Are spots the same, better or worse?

14. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Platy 1 is about the same... Maybe the white spots are smaller but he's still dull/greyish and more ornery than normal (although I get that way too when I'm sick lol).

Should I isolate the two and treat them with kanamycin and furan-2 while treating the whole tank with furan-2?

15. KimberlyG

Sorry, I have a christening today and I'm in and out. I would treat the whole tank. If it is columnaris, it is in the water column.

16. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Ok
    okay, I treated the whole tank.

I was just thinking... Once I'm done the prazipro treatment with my platy in QT should I treat her too? She's stopped flashing but is still hiding. She's usually quite a bold little fish.

17. KimberlyG

If he is not showing any signs, I probably wouldn't treat him. How long has he been in QT, Was it before the 1st platty with the white areas showed signs of illness?

18. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

She was only QTed about 2 days prior. She's keeping to her self but so far no external signs.

19. KimberlyG

I probably wouldn't treat her. I have no idea why she would be hiding. They are not schooling fish but I think they are social so maybe that is the reason.
    Once you start the kanamycin, keep us informed on any changes, good or bad. Both of those are for bacterial issues, there is nothing fungal in those.

20. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

I wondered when I read the package for Furan-2 but I think Jungle Fungus Cure is hard to get on Canada. The KanaPlex says it helps with fungus too, does it not?

I also picked up a pack of API Fungus Cure just in case.