"siesta" Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dave.santilli, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dave.santilli

dave.santilli Valued Member Member

Anyone use this method? Instead of keeping lights on straight through do 5 on, 4 off, 5 on? or something similar?

Low light planted tank

Thanks!

2. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

It depends on your situation. The two reasons to have a break in the lighting would be 1. to rebuild the CO2 in the tank. So if your not dosing CO2 or excel it could benefit you. 2. If you are getting algae growth it could help with cutting the amount of light the tank is getting. If you give a little more info on your tank and routine we could probably be more informative with the answer.

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I dont have a siesta but i do run 2 bulbs for 3 hrs then 4 for 4 hrs and then back down to 2 for 2hrs.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I'm highly doubtful of all the claims that siestas get, I recognize that they can replenish CO2 if you have a heavily stocked tank, but so far I haven't seen any research that really talks about the effect of light disruption on algae's growing cycle.

5. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I should have clarified, it helps algae if you have a situation such as instead of 10 hours of light you runs 3 on 4 off 3 on. I don't think 5 hours on 2 off 5 on would help anything.

6. OP
    OP
    dave.santilli

dave.santilli Valued Member Member

My tank is a 20g tall with anubias, floating water sprite & vallisneria. Low tech, no CO2 or anything. I am planning on getting either a finnex stingray or 24/7. Trying to plan a light schedule that I will actually be able to watch and see the fish when I am home!

7. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

The 24/7 is a nice light. I have heard people have grown sick of the 24/7 mode but I really enjoy it. I have the old version but I have heard the newer version does well with low light plants. With the 24/7 you would have to see how it does and adjust. The problem is any adjustment with the 24/7 light would not allow you to use the 24/7 and would have to use it as a normal light. Where as if you get a traditional light (Fugeray) You cant just tinker with the lighting to what works for your tank.

8. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I've been using it for the last few months. Went from 16 hours of lighting to 6 on 4 off, 6 on. No change in algae growth, no change in plant growth, still not much.

I did it out of curiousity and because I figured the only thing it's likely to harm is the power company because I'll save about 240watt hours in lighting per day. That $.05 must be really hurting their budget....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice