side-ways swimming black tetras

1. Durbkat Member Member

I have 2 long finned black tetras in a 20g tank and yesterday I added one of my regular black tetras from my 10g tank. And this morning two of the three tetras in the tank are tilting alittle bit as they swim. What is this? And should I be worried?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Not sure. Fin nipping going on? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in that tank? What other fish are in the tank?

3. Durbkat Member Member

There is no fin nipping going on and the last time I had the water checked it was perfect but before it was good water the nirites were really high. But I got that under control beforeI added any fish to it. The 3 tetras are the only ones in the tank. I just called the people at the lps and they said that the nirites could have gone back up and they can't get enough oxygen. Do you think this is true and is there something I can do to help them get enough oxygen in their tank? Also they are swimming and playing together fine they just tilt to their side at times as they swim. And the biggest long finned black tetra in thier sometimes goes to the top and tilts to his side.

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

I think ive seen some of my fish swim a bit tilted from time to time but they seemed fine and still are, so I dont know

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you want to get more oxygen into your tank, get an airstone hooked up to a good air pump.  The bubble incorporate oxygen into the water whey they reach the top of the water causing surface movement.  Try and get an airstone that puts out big bubbles and not the little tiny ones.  The bigger bubble cause more surface movement.

P.S. What is the temp. of the tank? The warmer it is, the less oxygen is in the water.

6. Durbkat Member Member

Tank temp is 79. And never mind they stopped, maybe it was a temporay swim bladder problem?