Sickly Cat fish

FishFanLady

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The smaller of my two SA Bumblebee catfish is looking ill. I got a good look at him this morning and he seems emaciated with what looks like a sore or injury near his dorsal fin and a whitish/ milkey looking color around the belly.
I’ve just gotten my Q tank set up and warming and will be moving him over shortly.

Any thoughts on what’s affecting him? Treatment?

Tank info: 20gal freshwater tank with 1 other SA bumblebee cat fish, 2 rainbows and four tetras.

PH: 7.6
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0-50ppm

everyone else looks well. Just had regular 50% water change yesterday.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He does look on the thin side, what have you been feeding?

I cannot say for sure if this is a relevant cause but bottom feeders like catfish and loaches are better with a soft/smooth substrate like sand or smooth pebbles. Your substrate is coarse and it can cause scratches and that can lead to infection. Perhaps think about switching substrate when things settle down.

OP
FishFanLady

FishFanLady

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
He does look on the thin side, what have you been feeding?

I cannot say for sure if this is a relevant cause but bottom feeders like catfish and loaches are better with a soft/smooth substrate like sand or smooth pebbles. Your substrate is coarse and it can cause scratches and that can lead to infection. Perhaps think about switching substrate when things settle down.

Hi! I was feeding them Sinking Carnivore Pellets but just recently switched to API Bottom Feeder Pellets (they are smaller with different protein.)

I’m starting to wonder if the hiding spot he likes may have caused some of the scratches as it has an edge in it. I did recently add a few new spaces, but he seems to prefer his go to.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom