Sickest betta I’ve ever seen...

PNWBettas

So I have search alerts on for fish tanks and supplies in my area on used apps like letgo since I like looking for deals. Well I saw this one thing pop up: guys want to re-home a tank full of sick fish. We get to talking and he sends some more photos: these are the worst looking betta I’ve seen. I can’t say no to taking them and trying to save them. He sounds like he knows what he’s doing, but recent personal events means he can’t keep trying to treat them. Hopefully getting them tomorrow along with another sick betta and neons and maybe even a rimless 10g shrimp tank. It’s all up in the air but I want to help if I can. Most people messaging him just want the nice equipment and not the fish since he’s giving them away.
I’m going to do what I can...

Attachments

• 93FB85F9-0675-439D-976D-857CB6EFF5C3.jpeg
    93FB85F9-0675-439D-976D-857CB6EFF5C3.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
  • EB826A8B-1318-4F51-AE55-AB97D695BC2B.jpeg
    EB826A8B-1318-4F51-AE55-AB97D695BC2B.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 76

Fisch

These little guys are in a sad state. Good luck, I am curious about the outcome

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

These little guys are in a sad state. Good luck, I am curious about the outcome
I don’t have much hope but I’m going to try. I have a whole tub of fish meds so hopefully I got something on hand. I’ll see what the water conditions are like too.

Upvote 0

jake37

Are they ill or have they been fighting ?

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Are they ill or have they been fighting ?
Ill, they are in separate tanks. One is housed with neons in a 10 gal and the other is in its own 6.5 gal. I’ll probably move the neons but it’s not physical damage from fighting at least.

Upvote 0

Fisch

What kind of medical treatment did the previous owner try, do you know?

Upvote 0

redmare

Any idea on their history that got them to such a state? Good vibes for recoveries for all!

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

What kind of medical treatment did the previous owner try, do you know?
He said he didn’t remember, but I believe he did salt baths at least. Which is probably what I will start with. He said he did some sort of parasite/worm treatment but didn’t know the name of it.
Any idea on their history that got them to such a state? Good vibes for recoveries for all!
Not much, just that it’s been going on for a while. They still eat which is good and have undergone a few treatments with little success. Supposedly in cycled tanks,

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Update: getting them Wednesday, I think I’m picking up three tanks which include a 10gal shrimp tank, the two betta and neons.

Upvote 0

jake37

Btw neons and betta are not the best tank mates due to different temp requirements.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Btw neons and betta are not the best tank mates due to different temp requirements.
Yeah I’m planning to move the neons, but not really for the temp. If I can I’ll keep the betta at 80 but I’m unsure if the temp can adjust on the heater he has. I normally keep my neons at 78 in my community tank.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

depan89 FishGirl115 heres the thread Ill be posting on later today. The photo posted so far is the female dumbo betta. Here’s a little idea of the blue one, not a good photo but it’s an idea. Again not in good health, but not as bad.

Attachments

• 520A0BCE-7FCE-4FBD-AE96-A10360222FB2.png
    520A0BCE-7FCE-4FBD-AE96-A10360222FB2.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

MomeWrath

Awww. the one laying on his side in the first set of pics looks like he has dropsy. sad for them.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Awww. the one laying on his side in the first set of pics looks like he has dropsy. sad for them.
That's what I thought at first, however there isn't lots of pine-coning and he also has apparently been like this for longer then he should (and hes still alive somehow) if it was dropsy. I'm probably going to do a range of treatments on her, starting with salt baths, feeding daphnia to see if I can get the bloating down. I will also likely be treating for parasites and a bacterial treatment if it is dropsy. Ill just need to take a closer look.

The other thing I do with rescues is test the tank water they came from. It gives me an idea of how bad their tank water was and if it was contributing to their health issues. If it is awful, I normally just start with getting them in a cycled tank, however these guys will need immediate treatment regardless, there is clearly other stuff going on.

Upvote 0

depan89

Good luck with the treatments. I'm sure they are in good hands.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Got all 3 tanks home. I hate cords more then ever, there are too many things plugged in. Just working on getting them back in order and cleaning them up. Probably will take a hot second before I’m done.

This guy had some nice stuff, I mean they all have nice tanks, lights, plants, etc. He was very nice to give it all away for free, hope I can help these little guys.

Myself, I’m a tad overwhelmed with all of it. It’s a lot to move and do three tanks in a day when the fish are sick. I’m just taking a seccond to decompress before I get back to cleaning the tanks and starting treatments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Did a re-scape on the neons tank. Looks much cleaner. New light coming soon. Have a finnex one he gave me but I left the remote

The neons have very red gills. May do a mild antibiotic for them, or just see if the clean water helps.

Attachments

• 3CBE25F0-7DDA-423C-9671-6C00D64836C0.jpeg
    3CBE25F0-7DDA-423C-9671-6C00D64836C0.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

depan89

Got all 3 tanks home. I hate cords more then ever, there are too many things plugged in. Just working on getting them back in order and cleaning them up. Probably will take a hot second before I’m done.

This guy had some nice stuff, I mean they all have nice tanks, lights, plants, etc. He was very nice to give it all away for free, hope I can help these little guys.

Myself, I’m a tad overwhelmed with all of it. It’s a lot to move and do three tanks in a day when the fish are sick. I’m just taking a seccond to decompress before I get back to cleaning the tanks and starting treatments.
Thanks for rescuing them and helping them!

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Alright here we are: just FYI I will be posting my treatment course and updates here, so follow if you want to see how it goes. Input is also totally fine, I’m not perfect haha.

Let’s start with the OG betta in the photos I posted. She is a female dumbo, age unknown. She’s been bloated like this for 2 months but it still alive and eating well (hand fed with tweezers). I’m starting daily epson salt baths and I’m using aquarium salt in her tank. IAL’s coming soon to add tannins. Her tank still is super empty but I’m planting it soon, have pearl weed coming in the mail today or tomorrow to add to it.

I have also treated the tank with metroplex for parasites. That’s my best guess on why she’s so bloated. I’m also trying to feed daphina to help. I don’t believe it dropsy. The only reason her scales stick out at all is since she’s so bloated and it’s hard to notice. She also would have likely died already if it was dropsy. I will keep you updated on her

Again if you have any other ideas, think I should be doing something different, let me know.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Poor babies! Good luck my friend!

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Good luck, hopefully they recover!

Upvote 0

ree913

So I have search alerts on for fish tanks and supplies in my area on used apps like letgo since I like looking for deals. Well I saw this one thing pop up: guys want to re-home a tank full of sick fish. We get to talking and he sends some more photos: these are the worst looking betta I’ve seen. I can’t say no to taking them and trying to save them. He sounds like he knows what he’s doing, but recent personal events means he can’t keep trying to treat them. Hopefully getting them tomorrow along with another sick betta and neons and maybe even a rimless 10g shrimp tank. It’s all up in the air but I want to help if I can. Most people messaging him just want the nice equipment and not the fish since he’s giving them away.
I’m going to do what I can...
Its great that you're coming to their rescue ! good luck

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views