Sick Zebra Danio?

aquababe

Reaction score
I am using 5 zebra Danios to cycle my new 70litre tank. I got them today and of course, ammonia levels are at zero. One of the zebras is looking pretty poorly. He is very pale and barely has any stripes visable. He is the largest and most active yet he doesn't look well at all. He does have white spots on this under side but it doesn't look like white spot just his natural colouring. He keeps bullying the others slightly and can't seem to relax. Any ideas?

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just give him a day to get used to his surroundings & tankmates. I just got 4 zebra danios to add to the 2 that I already had, and the 4 new ones were paler & the males chased my older female at first. It's been 2 days and they all have their full color, swimming more peacefully, and the pecking order in the tank is being established (my bigger, older female is asserting herself as "boss"). But do keep an eye on him and any suspicious spots (if they are truly white spots, then he may have Ich & need to be treated accordingly), discoloration and behavior. He might need to be quarantined in another tank/bowl/bucket temporarily if he does have a disease to prevent it from spreading to the other fish. Since you are cycling, I'm sure you are watching your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) levels very carefully--continue to do that so you can prevent any poisoning from the above substances.

There are so many knowledgeable people in this Forum that may have further advice for you, so keep checking back & good luck with the fish!!
Sharon

aquababe

Reaction score
thanks alot for your advice.

He has become alot darker now, but still paler than the rest. But he looks great ;D He is such a bully, but hopefully that should calm down soon enough as the others are getting a bit sick of it i think.

I am definitly keeping an eye on the water levels, particularly ammonia at this stage and everything is ok. I am doing 10% daily water changes and although the cycle may take longer, i want my fish to be as healthy as possible. I am seeding the tank today with a sponge from an establised tank so hopefully that should help things a little bit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom