Sick White Cloud Minnow

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jonfire, Jun 17, 2016.

  1. JonfireNew MemberMember

    I have a new setup, the tank was set up on Sunday and I had 6 fish put into the tank on Wednesday, one of these fish has now developed red spots and is swimming at the top of the tank. Looking on the internet this seems to be ammonia poisoning? I have done a partial water change to try and rectify this.

    The readings from my water test are as follows:
    No3 20
    No2 0.5
    Ph 7
    Kh 80
    Gh 180

    Any advice on what to do now? Do I remove this fish or what?
  2. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    Just curious when you say "set up" do you mean brand new tank? Ammonia poisoning would be red gills. First do frequent water changes, like 30-40% daily to keep ammonia low. And dose with something like seachem stability daily. If you don't have any i would advise getting something to test ammonite. With the numbers you gave im assuming you are using the test strips. In the long run it is worth getting the liquid like api freshwater master kit. Test the water about an hour after each water change. Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle if not it should auto link and read it asap, since it sounds like you never cycled your tank to get bb going.

    EDIT: Forgot to say welcome to the forums.

    Forgot to mention no need to remove the fish, you will just now be doing a fish in cycle. And I mistyped on teh change. Do a 3-40% ASAP, then you should be able to do like a 20% daily dosing with something like the Seachem Stability.

    Also what is the tank size and the filter? Just for information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
  3. OP

    JonfireNew MemberMember

    Yeah it is a new tank, I bought it second hand and the previous owner told me to run it for 3 days prior to introducing the minnows, I took a water sample to the shop I bought them from and they confirmed everything was fine prior to purchasing. They were introduced on Wednesday and only one out of the six is currently suffering. I will confess to being new to keeping fish and the only reason I had them was for my son, but I have tried to research as much as I can prior and wasn't fully aware of the nitrate cycle till now, i don't fully understand what parameters I should have in my tank despite posting them above, and I don't think I have ammonia tested on there so will pick some ammonia strips up in the morning.

    It's a 60l biorb
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
  4. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    Jonfire I'm actually in the same situation ((first tank a few months ago and is for my 3YO daughter) and found this forum a few weeks ago. Am new but you will catch on fast everyone here is extremely helpful and there is insane amounts of information here.

    basically for numbers you should have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 20-40 nitrates is acceptable. Ammonia and Nitrites are extremely toxic to fish ((Ammonia more so than nitrites)) Nitrates are still toxic but takes a LOT more to cause issues, which is why the water changes to keep them down ((there are other ways but this is the most common))

    There could also be other reasons for the redness.

    As for the run it for 3 days ((which is low unless he gave you his filter, filter media and it never stopped running before you picked it up, if it didn't run for a while the bacteria in it could have died)). If you had no source of ammonia the Beneficial bacteria had nothing to feed on to colonize.
  5. OP

    JonfireNew MemberMember

    Yeah seems I was given bad advice by not only the previous tank owners and the pet shop who sold me the fish.

    The fish in question has since died but I obviously want to ensure the others don't.

    I have an API 5 in 1 test strip which measures ph, nitrate, nitrate carbonate and general hardness so do I need to get something then that tests the ammonia?

    So tomorrow when I do another water change should I add something like the seachem stability? I have been using a tap safe and a cleaner which says it reduces ammonia and nitrates
  6. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    Yes I would get the stability, or something similar. What the difference is, is the tap water safe ((I'm assuming the API one which I have used and works well)) stuff removed chlorine and chloramines. and makes any ammonia safe for 24-48 hours, it doesn't remove it, just bonds to it so it's not toxic, but hat bond breaks down after 24-48 hours.. what stability is, is it's the actual bacteria that actually breaks down the ammonia into nitrite then nitrite into nitrate and starts the colony of your bacteria in you bio filter ((the ceramic thing the bio orb refers to)). Pretty much everything will become a bio filter for the most part.

    The reason the pet store may have thought it safe ((which the water technically is)) if your tap water uses Chloremines to make it drinking safe and nothing else the prime would have removed that. And your 10 PPM of Nitrates could easily come from your tap. With no bacteria to remove the ammonia it built up when you added fish.

    And yes I would advise getting something for ammonia testing
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice