Sick Turquoise Rainbowfish

1. jorabi Initiate Member

HELP!!! I can't get a good picture of my rainbow fish, but he has been sick for quite a while now. I removed him from my 50 gal community tank and have tried several different treatments now, but I am still unsure of what he has. I will list some of his symptoms and hopefully someone on here can diagnose the problem. Months ago, I noticed some sores on him. They were big red pimple like sores, under the scales with what appeared to be a whitehead (just like a big zit). Now they are barely visible, but he has several other symptoms. Sometimes he can't keep flakes in his mouth, but I noticed today that he ate with no problems. Mysteriously, he developed 2 black spots near his anal region that appear to be inside his body. He has lost some color and has gotten more pale so you can kind of see through him to the black spots. All around his head, his scales appear white and flaky, but not actually peeling. I can't see any white spots on him except on one of his fins which appears to be sticky, and clamped together...just the one fin. He doesn't appear to have fungus on him, but maybe a bit of a white slime. He swims normally and acts normally. The water parametres in both the main tank and the hospital tank are good, Ammonia and Nitrite remain at 0. The PH in our water is normally hard, about 8.0 but that hasn't changed. Any ideas? I still can't figure out if it's bacterial, parasitic or fungal...I've tried to treat all 3. Thanks for any help!

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

JBL - Online Hospital
    Hello Jorabi. Sorry to hear you have an ill fish. The above link may help you but let me WARN you there are GRAPHIC photos of fish disease included.
    Best wishes for a full recovery.
    Ken