sick tetras and gold barb...

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
they all have 1 or more silvery/metallic spots on them...not spots that look like salt or sugar...it started about 2 months ago and now they all have at least 1 spot..it is more of a fleck of silver on them. Is this velvet? It doesn't sound like ich. They were in a tank with a common pleco and an sfrican dwarf frog, so I didn't try treating with meds. I did try raising the temp. Obviously that did no good. Now they are in a tank by themselves and I can treat, but not sure what to treat them with. Also, one of them has a red spot on his fin...at first I thought it was a piece of food, but now I see it is his finthat is red...any ideas? thanks in advance,
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried Melafix and dosed the tank last night, and the red fin on the big black skirt is much better! It didn't do anything for the silver flecks, though....any ideas?
thanks again, Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really don't know what disease it is, as I wouldn't want to confuse Ich with Velvet, and vice versa, which are quite different diseases. But you can always read the charts. This one explains diseases/symptoms well: . And this one gives specific medications to treat the diseases: .

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks Isabella,
I've read these and am stumped, as the descriptions don't fit my fish! I've read in old threads that it is ok to use melafix at the same time as the parasite med from Jungle Lab so I'm trying it. I don't know what else to do. I'm scared and worried and noone seems to have had black skirts or barbs with this symptom (they don't have any other symptoms..eat well, swim well, poop fine, look fine)..at first I thought maybe the tetras were supposed to look like that, then the gold barb got it...and I knew it was contagious..whatever it was..?
I watch them constantly, and am scared to turn on the light in the morning and find them dead...
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok...bad idea to mix melafix and parasite clear tank buddies...the serpae tetra started having trouble floating right side up, and everyone else kept sinking down, so I quickly moved the serpae and 2 smallest silvertips to the 55g and then did a 50% water change in the 20g...now everyone in the 20g is doing ok, the silvertips are ok in the 55g but the serpae doesn't look good...she is swimming right side up, but still leans a little and seems weak...gee whiz this is frustrating...maybe just 1 med at a time, or no med for a while..don't know what to do. Afraid I'll kill the fish before the silver flecks do.
Denise :'(

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am so sorry about your fish Maybe it's just Ich? But then again ... I can't see your fish, so I don't know. It must be some specific disease, really. Or maybe it's two diseases combined. Anyhow, it's gotta be something. If you're really not sure, maybe the best you can do now are frequent and larger water changes, and increased temperature, plus observing the fish in the meantime. But then again, waiting with the diseases isn't good either, especially if it's a disease that develops and kills fast. I don't know ... just keep observing the fish and really try to determine which disease it is. I am not very informed on all fish medications but perhaps there is a medication that can be used on multiple diseases. I've heard numerous times Maracyn I and II is an effective combination against a number of diseases at once. BUT you'd have to confirm it with someone who knows for sure it's safe to use Maracyn I and II in your case. Anyone? Carol? Gunnie? What do you think?

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks, Isabella. I have been doing water changes every day, or every other day, for the last 2 weeks, and had also raised the water temp. I remembered reading the name Maracyn in other threads, but Walmart didn't have that so that is why I got the Melafix and Parasite Clear stuff. I may have to get a ride to a real pet store (my car's engine died last week). Maybe Carol , Gunnie, or somebody knows for sure about combining meds.
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks for asking, Isabella. None of my fish have died but they still have the silver flecks. Have been doing daily water changes, and the parameters are great. Maybe I'll try ich med? Clean, warm water hasn't gotten rid of the spots by itself, so I think they need some kind of medicine...
Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I suppose it's up to you what you'll do, as I have no way of knowing what disease it is. Though I really wish you luck and that all of your fish get well soon.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah, I don't know either...that's why I hesitate to do anything other than clean, clean, clean...but tommorrow I'm off (work), and I'm going to try calling some of the lfs and see what they say..also, I'll have more time to surf the net and see if I can't find a closer description to their symptoms. Maybe I can get a ride to the library and get some books!! I don't have any books yet!!
Anyway, I really appreciate your help and concern. You are a dear! (I sound like an old lady, lol, but I am sincere!)
Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hopesmom said:
Anyway, I really appreciate your help and concern. You are a dear! (I sound like an old lady, lol, but I am sincere!) 
Denise
THANK YOU, so are you! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom