Sick tetra// how to treat??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jcblair77, Jul 5, 2016.

1. j

jcblair77 Valued Member Member

My glowlight tetras are sick and I'm not too sure exactly what it is or how I should treat it. It's a little hard to explain so I will include pictures. They seem to have potential fin rot as their fins have been slowly disappearing. Two of them have what looks like a white fungus around their mouth. I also noticed it looks like some of their scales have scraped off? The one that's in the worst shape has something weird going on with his gills. The look puffed out and like they're peeling. They're all loosing their color. They won't eat anything except for brine shrimp. My water parameters are fine so I know it has nothing to do with Amonia. Just looking to see if this is bacterial or fungal and can it be treated with melafix? I prefer not to treat with aquarium salt.

Here are pictures of the worst guy. Hopefully this gives a better idea.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    j

Amonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0,0,0
    Ph 7.2, Temp 78-79
    10gal with 3 tetras in total and nerite snail
    Monthly changes of about 30%

Really just needing a quick solution..

4. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

the tetras need to be kept in schools of 6+ sorry. I hope they get better.:(

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Part of the issue is that it seems you may not be cycled. Have you ever seen nitrates?Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Also you need to do more water changes, usually around once a week. I would suggest to at least do a water change right now. Others can weigh in on what disease this might be.

6. OP
    OP
    j

Some people say 3+, some say 5+ It's really an opinion rather than fact.
    They've been just fine in a group of three up until this happening. Before this they were happy, active, and eating well.
    Hoping somebody will be able to offer a suggestion for treatment :(

7. CROWNTAILBETTA

I hope I didn't sound rude, this wasn't meant as an attack on you. I just was concerned for your fish's welfare.

8. OP
    OP
    j

The tank is definitely cycled. The nitrates have been up to 20 before. But are currently at 0. It's possible there may be some nitrates as sometimes it's hard to tell from the color chart sometimes. It's not really a concern for me though.

I have never done water changes that often. I'm going to stick with monthly changes maybe twice a month at most.

I guess I'll end up just getting melafix when I can since I haven't gotten an answer on that yet.

No worries! I understand
    I can assure they've been happy in their small group though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  9. CROWNTAILBETTA

glad to hear it!:)

10. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I just believe that water changes are important to revitalize the water's minerals for the fish. Of course you don't have to follow my advice.

Well good luck. I'm not sure mettafix will actually do much for your issues.

11. TexasDomer

Your fish won't improve with Melafix. They need a larger tank with more frequent water changes (weekly at a minimum). I would start with that before using meds.

12. OP
    OP
    j

Water changes are the only thing I can do to treat? I'm just worried it won't work. I think the tank size is acceptable for them and it's well filtered.
    My sister told me she's used melafix in similar situations and it worked so that's why I was considering it.
    They're getting worse and worse. I tried feeding them flake food this morning and they all seemed interested but were unable to open their mouths because of the fungus (at least I assume it's fungus).
    I'd also like to throw in that these fish came from Petco and as you know, it's not unusual for fish from chain stores to be unhealthy.
    I can try water changes but I'm really feeling like it won't save them.
    Any clue as to if it's bacterial or fungal?

After some research, I'm pretty sure this is just a fungus.
    I would consider possibly using tetra lifeguard but I'd have to move the snail to use that. Still leaning toward melafix or pimafix..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  13. TexasDomer

More frequent water changes can help prevent disease, help fish fight off disease, and help them heal faster, so they are very important.

Now, they won't completely heal your fish at this point because it's pretty severe, but they will help them heal faster.

I'm not sure if it's fungal (often secondary to underlying infection) or columnaris. You don't want to throw random meds at it if you can help it.
    @DoubleDutch what do you think?

Melafix likely won't do anything, so I wouldn't waste time or money using it.

14. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry hard to see. Very poor guy.

15. OP
    OP
    j

I just took a few more photos. Hopefully these are a little clearer. I feel so bad.. Look at how red and eaten away his gills are. Hopefully you can also see what their mouths look like also from this.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    TexasDomer Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. I will do a water change now. Hopefully someone can suggest what it is/what else I should do.

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The pics are fine, your fish definitely not. But it is so hard to say what is wrong.
    I'd try Seachem Paraguard that treats several diseases.

17. OP
    OP
    j

Plant safe and snail safe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice