Sick Temple Plant! 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by AmyGSmith, Mar 23, 2010.

1. AmyGSmithNew MemberMember

As of one week ago I had a beautiful, lush Temple Plant in my 10 gallon aquarium. I know that it will outgrow my tank, but I am prepared to do frequent trimmings and have even gotten my LFS to say they would accept cuttings (I can't stand waste). About 1 week ago I added 4 small java ferns (attached to a small piece of driftwood), 1 red melon sword & 1 anubias diamond to the tank to fill in some holes. I also added 3 ottos to my Betta fish and Mystery Snail. During this time I did a couple of water changes to allow my bio cycle to catch up and keep on top of things. All of the fish and other plants are doing very well. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but around that time my Temple Plant (which had reached the top of the water line and was about ready to be trimmed) started losing massive amounts of leaves from about 1/2 way down all the way to the bottom. The leaves seem to be melting near the stem. Are they being shaded out or did I add too many plants at once? By the way, I use Flourish, Flourish Excel, and several of the other Flourish products 2 times per week, plus do a 25% water change at least once per week (more of needed).

I intend to cut the healthy upper portion off today and replant with the hopes that the original stem will flourish again. Do you think this will solve the issue? Either way, my Betta (Neptune) is going to be royally ticked as he deems this plant as his castle! He loves to lounge among the leaves and view his kingdom from above. Any thoughts?

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I think you will find that your problem is a lack of intense enough lighting. Not much you can do about that other than get more light over the tank. With the light you have there probably isn't a great demand for nutrients. You would probably find weekly doses of Flourish Comprehensive would be plenty.

3. OP
    OP
    A

AmyGSmithNew MemberMember

Thanks! I just upgraded my lighting to 40 watts plus ordered a small CO2 system. Hopefully that will fix things! My Betta boy is definitely missing his castle!

:;thx

4. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I think its lack of light... but you seem to have figured things out...

PS I'll take trimmings of your temple plant off your hands : ).

5. OP
    OP
    A

AmyGSmithNew MemberMember

I'll keep that in mind and I'll let you know once the plant is healthy again! :)

6. ilikefishValued MemberMember

k! : )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice