65 gallons.
How long has the tank been running?
A week.
Does it have a filter?
Yes.
Does it have a heater?
Yes.
What is the water temperature?
Unknown exactly as I seem to have lost my thermometer in my recent move, but the heater is meant to keep it at acceptable temps for tropical fish, and it feels adequately warm.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One mid sized oscar, one small oscar, a small senegal bichir, a small Asian red tail catfish, a golden gourami, and three surviving gold severum.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Bi-weekly.
How much of the water do you change?
Approximately 25 percent.
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Not fully? I used old filter mediums from their previous tank in this one.
What do you use to test the water?
ApI strips, and pet store testing services.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Unknown at present.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Somewhere between 20 and 40, it appears.
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Daily.
How much do you feed your fish?
As much as they'll eat.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Omega One, Bug Bites.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
I've had all of them except the severum and catfish for over a year. The new ones are recent purchases.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
A few days ago.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Streaky clouded eyes in the Oscar's, catfish, and now forming on the gourami. Fin rot. Slime over body, listlessness, looking unsteady in the water, and shortly before death, an inability to control their depth or orientation in the water at all.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Yes. ApI E.m erythromycin, fungus cure, general cure, melanin, and pimafix.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
See symptoms. They're all lethargic.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Illness started with a cloudy eye in the catfish. Within a day, there was clouding in the larger oscar's eyes, and erosion of the edges of his fins. All the other fish (save my bichir) started showing similar physical symptoms. They all stay at the bottom of the tank now, and appear to be getting progressively worse. I lost one severum, and by the end, it was just being pushed around by the water flow, unable to orient itself at all. The bigger oscar now seems to be having trouble remaining bottom down, though he's leaning on decor at the bottom, so it's difficult to know where he's at with that aspect of all this. In terms of visual symptoms, the bigger oscar has definitely progressed the farthest, and it appears the issues with his eyes are protruding out, or on the surface of the eye, as the cloudy part is now clearly raised up a bit above the surface of the eye itself.
It seems the smaller fish have been effected the quickest, as I've lost one severum already and it looks like I'm going to lose the rest before anything can be done--- though they haven't developed any eye issues or as much fin damage. The catfish seems to be stable; he still has his eye issues, but no fin damage and he still swims around a bit. The gouramI is the most active of all the fish, but I think I'm starting to see the beginning of eye problems with him. And my bichir is a bit lethargic perhaps (it's hard to tell because he's always been one to chill at the bottom), but is showing absolutely none of the same symptoms as the others otherwise.
My biggest concern are my oscars, really. They're looking bad, but unlike the severum, they look like they're at a point where they could still be saved, if only one of these medications would work, as it seems like none of them are. If anyone has any idea what's going on or what I could do, please let me know.

OP
P

phaedra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
20200310_114228.jpg

The larger oscar finally drifted into a position where I could get my first good look at him today, and get my first decent picture. Looks pretty bad.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The symptoms and the way it has spread sounds like a bacterial infection to me, but it doesn't match the symptoms of any specific type. My suggestion is to try a different type of antibiotic, sometimes bacterial infections are immune to specific types.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seems to be bacterial. It also seems like you have a pretty bad case of green water

OP
P

phaedra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CichlidJynx said:
Seems to be bacterial. It also seems like you have a pretty bad case of green water
Thanks! I'll be trying more antibiotics for sure. The green in the water, however, is just the antifungal medication I've dosed the tank with. Colors the water a lovely radioactive green.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
phaedra said:
Thanks! I'll be trying more antibiotics for sure. The green in the water, however, is just the antifungal medication I've dosed the tank with. Colors the water a lovely radioactive green.
Good to hear! Sounds like your on the right track!

OP
P

phaedra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update: smaller oscar and another severum died last night. I'm trying another brand of medication, but my options in town seem limited. I'll check up on the condition of the larger oscar when I get home from work. Hopefully he's improving.

OP
P

phaedra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, so the fish in my medicine tank seem to be holding steady now. My surviving oscar seems more alive with less excess slime, but the eye issues aren't improving. If anything, the clouding on the less effected eye seems like it's getting worse. I'm not sure what's going on. On the worse eye, the clouding doesn't appear to be in the eye at all, but rather, like a yellowish white snot-looking drop attached to the surface of the eye. I really wish I could get a picture, but with the tank set up as it is, apparently it's impossible.
And the bichir remains immune, it would seem. He's so healthy I've even kept him in the main tank and he's regained his appetite.
Any ideas? None of my searching through pictures of the symptoms of common fish illnesses has resulted in any marches, but I want to save my fish, if I can. Maybe I just need to be more patient with the medications?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't really know what can be done for the obviously infected fish. The main problem is likely bacterial, with an added potential complication of HITH. Once a bacterial infection takes hold, usually not curable. Never a good idea to blindly nuke your tank w/ meds, especially a Molotov cocktail
combination of them.
The root cause of the problem might be a result of overcrowding big, high waste producing fish in a relatively small tank. 25% WC's on a biweekly basis is insufficient for all but the most minimally stocked tanks. A weekly 50% WC would be the minimum when keeping large cichlids.
Be a good idea to make a 50% WC on the main tank. Keep only the apparently healthy fish. Wait a few weeks then begin to restock with appropriate fish for a 65 gal. Sorry things are going badly, we've all gone through similar disasters at one time or another.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom