Sick swordtail ? Some sort of disease isn’t eating

Rebeccaxo

Hey guys just looking for some help my little swordtail has become bent looking as in his spine he looks awful thin and isn’t eaten much tonight I noticed a little white thing on his face he’s in a hospital tank at the mo all water is within normal range in normal tank which is PH 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 20 ppm he’s not eaten at all and is open mouth breathing continuously he’s in a little tank now with filter with some of my media from main tank and decorations to hide also a heater, I’ve put in some metafix and prima fix API products to help with disease etc just looking for any intro or experience of this, I have 6 male swordtails snd done a fish in cycle as was advices wrongly but thanks to this group I didn’t loose any fish and had to do daily water changes due to ammonia etc , just worried and upset for him and hope Im doing everything I can last picture is him currently I did recently loose a cory do what I think was cotton whool disease the whole tank where treated thanks!

Attachments

• 41AED7E5-580F-4D27-A5C4-6ABFF1CDB450.jpeg
    41AED7E5-580F-4D27-A5C4-6ABFF1CDB450.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 639CBE0B-5FC8-48AE-B2D2-6F19C3CCE5DE.jpeg
    639CBE0B-5FC8-48AE-B2D2-6F19C3CCE5DE.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 23C3275D-1B4F-4951-800F-C2173273A1E5.jpeg
    23C3275D-1B4F-4951-800F-C2173273A1E5.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4

JuDom

Hi there.
I’m sorry your swordtail isn’t doing well.

There is a disease common amongst all livebearers called “Wasting Disease”. It’s very appropriately named as its symptoms are loss of appetite, rapid weight loss, fin damage etc.

By looking at these photos, I believe that’s what you are dealing with here. Maybe some others will chime in to confirm.

I would continue with the Melafix and then start a round of something to treat the parasite. You can look up this disease to confirm and get further instruction for treatment.

This is contagious and most likely means your other swordtails are infected too. Keep a close eye on them and QT as necessary.

Are there any other fish in the tank? Also, what is your tank size and maintenance routine?

Rebeccaxo

Yes I have corys 7 guppies 5 ottos 5 and rasbora 5 one of them has started to hide Today one black swordtail he seems to be hiding slot! I’ve never heard of this before I have 190L tank 50 to 70% water changes weekly and cleaning of sand most days as the waste isn’t good to lay for the corys or fish I’ve heard only had tank since October to learning everyday I’ve just medicated him, himself he’s the 2nd fish one of my corys passed away recently but he had a furry like growth on his fin x
Oh he is one of 6 swordtails x

JuDom

Yes I have corys 7 guppies 5 ottos 5 and rasbora 5 one of them has started to hide Today one black swordtail he seems to be hiding slot! I’ve never heard of this before I have 190L tank 50 to 70% water changes weekly and cleaning of sand most days as the waste isn’t good to lay for the corys or fish I’ve heard only had tank since October to learning everyday I’ve just medicated him, himself he’s the 2nd fish one of my corys passed away recently but he had a furry like growth on his fin x
Oh he is one of 6 swordtails x
Okay, your maintenance seems good and your stock high but not overstocked IMO.
Every time we treat our tanks with medication, we run the risk of throwing off our cycle and/or weakening our community’s health. Sounds funny because you’re giving them something that’s supposed to make them not sick..and in turn, they end up sick. Unfortunately, all medication weakens the fish’s immune system temporarily. If anything else was hiding by the wayside, it will show up.

I have faith that your swordtail will improve with your diligence in care. I’d recommend also putting an air stone into the tank he’s in to increase oxygenation as medication lowers oxygen levels in the water.
I’d also recommend doing a few large water changes in your 50 gal...that also helps in the time of a potential disease outbreak. In the future, separate the fish that are sick to medicate rather than your whole tank. It’s more cost effective and better for your tank’s health.

Do you change your filter carts?

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom