Sick Swordtail Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Chelsea Porter, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Chelsea Porter

Chelsea PorterNew MemberMember

I bought this swordtail fish about a week ago with a tiger barb not realizing that tiger barbs need a community to leave other fish alone. So for about 2 days the tiger barb was picking at his fins so I removed the barb from the tank and everything was fine for 2 days. His fins were damaged but he was active, eating, and seemed content. I woke up this morning and he looks like this, lethargic, barely moving his fins, and didn’t eat. I put stress coat in the tank when I removed the barb and again this morning when I saw him like this. The swordtail is living in a 10 gallon tank with a Molly and an algae eater-both are fine. Any suggestions what this is, or how I can help my poor fish? All water levels are normal.

Attached Files:

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Wow, he's ripped up bad. Judging from the red and the fact he has a fair amount of injuries, I want to say a bacterial infection? Maracyn or furan are used to treat him.

3. OP
    OP
    Chelsea Porter

Chelsea PorterNew MemberMember

Thank you but unfortunately whatever it was killed him fast. I left this morning at 9 and returned at 130 and he’s gone without a trace. My Molly always eats the fish when they die before I have a chance to take them out of the tank.

4. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Aww, i'm sorry.:(