Sick Swordtail Fish 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Chelsea Porter, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Chelsea PorterNew MemberMember

I bought this swordtail fish about a week ago with a tiger barb not realizing that tiger barbs need a community to leave other fish alone. So for about 2 days the tiger barb was picking at his fins so I removed the barb from the tank and everything was fine for 2 days. His fins were damaged but he was active, eating, and seemed content. I woke up this morning and he looks like this, lethargic, barely moving his fins, and didn’t eat. I put stress coat in the tank when I removed the barb and again this morning when I saw him like this. The swordtail is living in a 10 gallon tank with a Molly and an algae eater-both are fine. Any suggestions what this is, or how I can help my poor fish? All water levels are normal.

Attached Files:

2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Wow, he's ripped up bad. Judging from the red and the fact he has a fair amount of injuries, I want to say a bacterial infection? Maracyn or furan are used to treat him.

3. Chelsea PorterNew MemberMember

Thank you but unfortunately whatever it was killed him fast. I left this morning at 9 and returned at 130 and he’s gone without a trace. My Molly always eats the fish when they die before I have a chance to take them out of the tank.

4. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Aww, i'm sorry.:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice