Sick snail

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my mystery snails seems to be sick. It’s a female. She has mates in the past but never laid any eggs. She’s about 1 year old now (I got her as a baby like last febuary).

She seems extremely week. She hasn’t been eating the past couple days (no matter what I give her). She has recently been getting less and less active, but she has taken a turn for the worst a couple days ago. She was sitting in the same spot for a long time, so I gave her trapdoor a little tug to make sure she responded. She was really week and didn’t even pull back, she just bubbled at me. I feel horrible for her.

The tank is a lightly planted 10 gallon, with just my betta and some snails.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 7 ppm
PH about 8.0

Snails get a diet of fruits and veggies (green beans, zucchini, cucumber, blueberry, apple, spinach, chard, carrots, sweet potatoes, really whatever is in the fridge that is snail safe). They also occasionally pick up leftover pellets from my oblivious betta when he misses them.

I do a 35% water change every week.

I feel really bad for her, I don’t know what to do.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ssnaaiil said:
Could you post a picture? Nitrates seem high. Maybe try a 50% wAter chAnge
7 ppm? Really? It’s not actually not that exact, i just guess that cause is was in between the 5 and 10 on the color chart. I thought that under 20 ppm was healthy.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update, I did just check her... she died:(... once the snow lightens up I’ll go burry her.

She has been a little lethargic and less interested in food the last couple weeks so I’ve been keeping an eye one her, but I didn’t think it would come to this... I feel really sad.

The other snails are healthy and moving around the tank. I don’t know what would have caused it.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
7 ppm? Really? It’s it’s actually not that exact, i just guess that cause is was in between the 5 and 10 on the color chart. I thought that under 20 ppm was healthy.
My nitrates are usually below 5 that’s what made me think that... sorry that your snail passed. Is there any copper in any of the fish food/pellets that you put in the tank? I kept having problems with my snails dying and couldn’t figure out why until I looked at the ingredients of the algae wafers I was feeding them contained copper sulfate and as soon I stoped feeding those my snails have been doing great! Growing tremendously, mating and got my first egg clutch yesterday... maybe take a look at all food labels for any type of copper in the ingredients

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ssnaaiil said:
My nitrates are usually below 5 that’s what made me think that... sorry that your snail passed. Is there any copper in any of the fish food/pellets that you put in the tank? I kept having problems with my snails dying and couldn’t figure out why until I looked at the ingredients of the algae wafers I was feeding them contained copper sulfate and as soon I stoped feeding those my snails have been doing great! Growing tremendously, mating and got my first egg clutch yesterday... maybe take a look at all food labels for any type of copper in the ingredients
I just looked and there is copper sulfate in the betta pellets, but’s it’s the very last ingredient. It seems like such a small amount wouldn’t do that much. Copper is naturally occurring in the wild and snails actually need it, it’s just toxic in large amounts. I don’t know though, I suppose it’s possible. There is gonna be way less copper in the betta pellets then any planted tank fertilizer, so it’s seems like they would be fine. But then again, I don’t know a lot about the subject.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
I just looked and there is copper sulfate in the betta pellets, but’s it’s the very last ingredient. It seems like such a small amount wouldn’t do that much. Copper is naturally occurring in the wild and snails actually need it, it’s just toxic in large amounts. I don’t know though, I suppose it’s possible. There is gonna be way less copper in the betta pellets then any planted tank fertilizer, so it’s seems like they would be fine. But then again, I don’t know a lot about the subject.
I have read that also, that if it’s at the end of the ingredient list that it shouldn’t be a problem but the algae wafers I was feeding my snails and pleco had copper sulfate as the second to last ingredient and I had countless snails keep dying until I found that in the ingredients and then quit feeding it and now nothing with copper on the ingredient list goes in my tank and I have absolutely no problems with my snails...that’s just my experience though.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You said something about plant fertilizer... if you have live plants and use fertilizer maybe there’s something in the fertilizer..(?) I don’t know anything about live aquarium plants or fertilizer though, I just use plastic plants

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry about your snail.Im no expert on mystery snails but I think mystery snails usually only live for around a year or 2 tops so it's quite possible that nothing sinister happened at all.Im not saying you shouldn't still investigate but theres a good possibility that Miss snail just happened to be a 1 year snail.Under 10 on the nitrates is fine for snails imo.If nitrates temporarily get above 10 from your plant ferts or whatever I dont think that's a real big deal.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ssnaaiil said:
You said something about plant fertilizer... if you have live plants and use fertilizer maybe there’s something in the fertilizer..(?) I don’t know anything about live aquarium plants or fertilizer though, I just use plastic plants
I just dose a half millimeter of flourish compressive every week. The excel has a lot of copper in it, but I researched and was told that the comprehensive was fine for snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom