sick snail?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by featherblue, Dec 7, 2012.

1. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

So I thought my mystery snail, zilla, was dead. Weird floating at the water line, very little activity last few days. Pulled her out, no uck smell. Put her in a jar full of tank water. She opened her trap door a few mintues later, put her back in the tank. She landed gonna plant, trap down (tish) and hasn't moved. What's wrong with my snail?

40%wc today (normal), prime and baking soda (for low kh out of tap), temped at 76*, like tank

2. n

nammyle New Member Member

My snail does the same thing. Mine just sleeps and the only way I know he's alive is because he's in a different spot when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes he'll just be dormant for a week before moving.

3. OP
    OP
    f

The weird floating part too? Ive sen her dormaint before, just sitting tor days. Trapdoor shut tight, bobbing in the current near the surface.

4. n

nammyle New Member Member

I haven't noticed that with mine, but I've heard of it happening before. In the wild, snails float to quickly get to other places so as long as he doesn't permanently stay up there, he should be fine.

5. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Two of my snails went batty the other night. One of them started floating, trapdoor shut, like yours. Another one tried to learn to fly by leaping out of the tank... unfortunately he failed and instead dropped 4 feet to the tile floor with a loud *CRACK* that scared the bejeezus out of me and my son. Of course we were parked on the couch in the dark with a bowl of popcorn watching a horror movie.

I honestly thought they were both dead. The floater didn't do anything but float for 2 full days and nights, and the one that took the swan dive didn't move from where I dropped him back in for 2 full days and nights. This morning both of 'em were out and about like nothing ever happened.

I checked the water immediately after the jumper, and it was fine. No idea what compelled them both to flake out. Perhaps the horror movie scared them :)

6. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Sometimes the mystery snails will go into like a hybernation of sorts. Usually right before a big growth spurt. Unless you are seeing milky white stuff leaking from inside of his shell, or he stays this way for mroe than a week. I would say he is ok.

Mysteries are actually complicated lil buggers. Some thrive and some just live short lives. I have had it happen to me a few times.

7. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Lmso I just snorted I laughed that hard when I read this... I then had to explain myself to my partner lol. Sounds like the sort of thing that happens in this house touch wood I've had no jumpers yet!

8. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Does she ever open her trapdoor while floating? There is a chance (s)he has a trapped air bubble in her shell she can't release?

9. OP
    OP
    f

Shes only done the float the one time I know about, but shes def been very shy and low activity level the last week or so. I just looked over at the tank, a d shes eating! This makes me worry a little less. She hadn't raided the toodvshell in 3 days til just now. I hope it was just a trappedvair bubble. Her door was shut super tight when she was floating, its how I could tell she wasn't dead (dead things don't clench)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice