Sick Shrimp? See Photos.

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by TommyD11730, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Complete shrimp novice here.

Got 25 cherry shrimp a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be molting and growing like weeds. Then I notice this guy. If this a failed/partial shed? The yellowish looking thing on his back is my concern.

Shrimp seems fine otherwise doing "shrimp stuff". :)

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. JtheFishManValued MemberMember

I doubt it.

From these images, these just seem like saddles on your female shrimp. This is a great thing. A saddle on a shrimp is basically just a representation of developing eggs in the female. If your female shrimp has a saddle, that means that she is now sexually mature, and that she is growing properly.

If anything, this is a sign that she is very healthy and molting just fine.

3. DreaminginBlueValued MemberMember

Agreed! Looks like a saddled female. Congratulations!

4. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Thank you sir for the education.
    I come from the fish world, where bumps and "growths" on your buddies are a bad thing.

5. JtheFishManValued MemberMember

F.Y.I.

The saddle usually fades away when the female becomes pregnant. So, if the saddle fades away, expect eggs on the female pretty soon!

6. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Are they like live bearers? Meaning they spawn once and are fertile 4 life.

7. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

No, but once a female molts the males will smell it and go looking for her, so reproduction is usually always going on :)

8. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Yep I agree with all above

9. DreaminginBlueValued MemberMember

As Mak said, they do need to breed after each molt to have offspring. But as long as conditions in the tank are good (and Neocaradina are fairly hardy and not too picky about this), they’ll breed. Usually a lot. If there aren’t any fish to eat them, or if there is plenty of cover to help shrimplets hide and survive, you’ll have a pretty good amount of babies. Don’t worry about them overpopulating, since you can usually sell/give away/ trade them in for store credit, and often they won’t breed beyond what the amount of food you’re feeding can support.
    Best of luck with your soon to arrive shrimplets! They’re awfully cute when they’re little, they look like mini versions of their parents and are so fun to watch.

10. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Hi @TommyD11730 this is somthing i wrote in another post with the other information above may give you a better insight
    Although I've never read how fast they breed in optimum conditions ide look at at 6 to 8 weeks full cycle when you take into account from the start. Maturity is reached in 3 to 4 months when that happens the female will get what is known as the saddle this is the eggs in the ovaries they will stay there until she moults when she dose she leaves off a pheromone which the male picks up on, mating takes a split second in fact you think they just bumped into each other and this is when the male deposits sperm, after this happenes it can take up to 10 days for the female to move the eggs from the saddle(ovaries,) down to underneath the belly and on the way passing through the sperm making the eggs fertile, there they will stay for 24 to 30 days before they hatch then the cycle will start all over, many first time mum's tend to drop their eggs due to bad parenting on her part but after that she gets the hang of it, it's very important to make sure your shrimp have minerals and protein in their diet so they can moult successfully, if you are getting young you must be doing things right

11. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

I know it's different but my biggest amano molted yesterday and by the time I got home she was STUFFED and the males were still going after her. Congrats! I'm looking forward to this in my new shrimp as well and 2 are already berried. :D

12. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I only have amanos and bamboo shrimp now, but when I had neos they were the same. The males get all crazy and swim all over when the female(s) are molting. I think it's hilarious, took a vid of it one day
    My amanos in my 90g

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice