Sick Severums Help!

dommyturtles

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on here but something has came up. So some backstory first I've had my 4 Severums for a few months now and they have been on and off with me. I have three green Severums and one gold, and so far two of my green sevs have hole in the head. One got so sick I had to treat with metronidazole and more and was successfully able to get him stable since he didn't want to eat. He is thriving now but still gets the white dots time to time.

However my main concern is with my gold severum. He has not given me any problems til today when I checked on him. It seems that his forehead seems to have shrunk in size and his lips seem more puckered out than usual. I'm not sure if this is either a disease or if be maybe got hurt and lost a kissing battle between the other fish and hurt his lips in the process. He is now terrified of me and does not want to eat at all today (he usually comes to me for food and eats ferociously) I don't know what to do and I'm scared on what to do now. I dosed some coppersafe, aquarium salt and stress coat as a start. I provided a picture of before and after too. Please help, thanks guys and gals
20180921_190026.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180921-230729.png
    Screenshot_20180921-230729.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 56

A201

Sometimes male Severums develope small nuchal humps. The humps are filled with fluid which can expand or retract. It's possible that he locked jaws with another male severum as you suggested.
Might be a good idea to keep the light off for a couple of days, and watch for any aggression issues. Hope he gets better soon.

dommyturtles

Sometimes male Severums develope small nuchal humps. The humps are filled with fluid which can expand or retract. It's possible that he locked jaws with another male severum as you suggested.
Might be a good idea to keep the light off for a couple of days, and watch for any aggression issues. Hope he gets better soon.

His condition seems to be worsening. His lips and the hump is twice the size and he looks to be becoming more and more weak. I put a divider in the tank to prevent any fighting picking on and put more salt and stress coat. Should I move him to a 10 gallon with fresh water?

Attachments

• 20180923_102452.jpg
    20180923_102452.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180923_102556.jpg
    20180923_102556.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 70

Nikki2577

I wish I could help, I have Severums but I have never seen this. This has to be hard for you to see I hope someone helps soon.

dommyturtles

I wish I could help, I have Severums but I have never seen this. This has to be hard for you to see I hope someone helps soon.

It seems to getting worse as the night goes. No sign of improvement I'm in the process of moving him to an established 10 gallon and putting 75% new fresh water 25% tank water and will see what meds I got to help with the swelling. I am going to try Epsom salt too as I heard it can reduce swelling and increase intake for stress meds and other medication . Wish me luck,

Nikki2577

I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t work. PM me.

Nikki2577

I am trying to research it but I am not very good at illnesses. I am thinking it might be some kind of tumor. How quick did this bump grow? The lip might look like that because the skin is stretched but again I am just guessing so don’t feel that is for sure what’s going on.

Nikki2577

Most things I am finding looking at pictures it could be bacterial. Look up severum tumors and go through all the things that come up and see what you think. I so wish I knew more about this stuff!

dommyturtles

Most things I am finding looking at pictures it could be bacterial. Look up severum tumors and go through all the things that come up and see what you think. I so wish I knew more about this stuff!

NikkI thank you so much for your urge to help. I looked up tumors but fish tumors that I see look oddly shaped and red, though I have no doubt it is not one. I don't this this is a nuchal hump because usually they form above the eyes, this hump is like aligned with his eyes and on his nose. This hump formed within the last two days and will not show any signs of shrinking. He's in the 10 gallon quarantine but he doesn't look so good, very weak. Also I don't know what PM means, I'm not good with forums so I'll need help with that

dommyturtles

Sorry about the extreme delay by the way, it took a while to set him in the 10 gallon last night and went to sleep immediately after. To clarify his weakness, he isn't floating or turning to one side or anything, he is just staying at the bottom of the tank taking strong breaths

dommyturtles

Here are some picture of his current state. His lips seem to have some mucus-like material between the crevesus and the swelling does not look to be slowing down

Attachments

• 20180924_081548.jpg
    20180924_081548.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180924_081545.jpg
    20180924_081545.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180924_081715.jpg
    20180924_081715.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 65

Nikki2577

Here are some picture of his current state. His lips seem to have some mucus-like material between the crevesus and the swelling does not look to be slowing down
I would treat him right now like he has some kind of bacterial issue. That’s all I can think.

PM means private message. You would click on my picture on this thread and you will see message and then just send a hI or something and I will respond.

No way is that his hump because it is too low on his forehead. As far as I know Severums don’t get them even close to that size, plus his lips wouldn’t look like that.

There is some kind of sickness with him. Were you able to do a salt bath?

Nikki2577

Sorry about the extreme delay by the way, it took a while to set him in the 10 gallon last night and went to sleep immediately after. To clarify his weakness, he isn't floating or turning to one side or anything, he is just staying at the bottom of the tank taking strong breaths

I do not like the way you are describing his lethargy and breathing Those are not good. How big is he?

M-Stokes

That looks like columnaris\cotton mouth. You need seachem kanaplex and apI furan 2. If he's still eating get some seachem metroplex and seachem focus mixed with his food.You can get some garlic guard too which will boost his appetite. Slowly lower the temp to 74 degrees and vacuum substrate well to slow the bacterias growth. Just know the prognosis isn't too good with columnaris. Goodluck

dommyturtles

I do not like the way you are describing his lethargy and breathing Those are not good. How big is he?

Hmm I can not seem to fine the messaging option either. But update, nothing is better. I just did a salt bath with heavy aeration and did a quick 10 second dip of methynele blue. It has only seemed to make him weaker, but he is not facing downwards like he was. He is just sitting on my bubble maker no swimming and very lazy. He's weak to the point where I can move him around with my hands and pick him up for the food without flashing. It looks as if his slime coat is peeling off his face after the dip. I'm sorry to say but I do not think there is anything else I can do for my fish. The only thing I can think of is putting him under anesthesia and attempt to maybe reduce the swelling with a needle, but I'm not a doctor and I don't know if It would work.

Nikki2577

Oh no, that makes me so sad

Have you posted on any other forums? I don’t know if I get in trouble for this but you might want to try monsterfish.

dommyturtles

Oh no, that makes me so sad

Have you posted on any other forums? I don’t know if I get in trouble for this but you might want to try monsterfish.

I have signed up for monster fish but I just can't navigate their forum well and I can't find any way of posting there. I'm trying my best to get all the help I can.

He isn't doing anything but laying there breathing. He's not turning over or having trouble staying up, just lays on the bottom

This is really upsetting as this orange severum was my favorite out of the four and never gave me a problem. I bought him at this size too, but if he doesn't pull through this, I will get my next orange sev as a baby.. But will be a while before I can mentally handle this

Nikki2577

Do you want me to post it for you?

Nikki2577

I lost my male Green Severum about 3 weeks ago and it was so hard I have several of his babies so it made me feel better.

If you can get an answer it will help but sometimes we just don’t know.

How old is your severum?

dommyturtles

If you could post it that would be Great! And I'm very sorry for your loss, I guess we're in the same boat now I've never seen this in a fish before but it doesn't look like duck lips or cotton mouth, and the strange growth only makes it more difficult. What I have a feeling is that possible he broke his lips while fighting and the possibility is that there was internal bleeding from the damage which caused the dramatically fast swelling. When I look at the one side of his face, I see that it's very dark, almost as if there's blood under the skin like black and blue. This is the only think I could think of that could have caused such strange symptoms. Do you think this could be a possibility?

dommyturtles

Here's some close ups of his face, you can see in one pic it looks to be purple under the skin. I feel like this is internal bleeding from broken bones

Attachments

• 20180924_213108.jpg
    20180924_213108.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180924_213205.jpg
    20180924_213205.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180924_213131.jpg
    20180924_213131.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 46

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies