Sick Serpae Tetra

NotTheSoda

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just created this account because I really have no idea what to do.

I'm fairly new to keeping fish, but I have an established 29gal aquarium with 3 Black Skirts, 1 Pictus Catfish, and 3 Serpae tetras. I've had most of these fish for about 6 months, but last month I bought 1 of the Black Skirts and 1 of the Serpaes.

What I didn't see when I bought the Serpae is that he had what looked to be a small cut on his body, but very near his tail. Since it was small, I though I would just wait and see if it got worse or if it healed on its own. Fast forward three weeks, and the cut didn't get any bigger or smaller, but now he can't swim. I assume it's swim bladder disorder because when he tries to swim, he just turns upside down. I tried feeding him peas after fasting for 3 days, but he wouldn't eat. He just floats around, and while he attempts to use his other fins to swim, he wouldn't use his tail at all. Even worse, he got stuck on the filter during the night and it looks like it ripped half of his tail off.

I'm not sure what I should do for him. He must be in so much pain and I don't know how I can fix it. None of the other fish have any symptoms, so I can only hope that it's not something contagious. Please give me advice on what I should do. Is there any way he can get better?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom